Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Richard Simpson

Re: Stanage Edge, Long Causeway, Sunday 14th September

Post by Richard Simpson »

Just a gentle reminder to everyone who can make it.

If you've got a big bike and never ventured up a trail before, this would be a great opportunity...the route is, I'm told, easy now, and there will be lots of folk on hand to help if you get stuck.

For some folk, including me if I can make it, it will be the first and last time.

:(
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

Gutted we can't make it Sunday, just Saturday :(
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I work Sundays so I'll have to miss this but still have the memory of my last ride at one of the peak protests. Also got an email today about the TRO, rubbing salt into the wound methinks :(

Please find attached a letter and decision notice regarding the Peak District National Park making a Traffic Regulation Order on Long Causeway

Sue Smith

Rights of Way Officer

Long Causeway

Peak District National Park Authority

[email protected]

Peak District National Park Authority, Aldern House, Baslow Road, Bakewell, DE45 1AE t:01629 816200 f:01629 816310 www.peakdistrict.gov.uk Twitter: @peakdistrict
The Peak District: where beauty, vitality and discovery meet at the heart of the nation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged and/or contain personal views that are not the Authority’s. It is intended for the addressee. If received in error please notify us and delete immediately. Under Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation contents may be disclosed and the Authority reserves the right to monitor sent and received emails.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.claranet.co.uk

We are getting media interest...the following has been sent in
response, to the BBC.

I've attached the PDNPA's summary of objections (most of which came from TRF members) and their reasons for ignoring them.

Their argument centres on their description of the area as being an area of 'Natural Zone': whatever they may mean by that. They admit that the road itself and much of the landscape that it passes through have been created by the hand of man, but that doesn't apparently stop it being 'Natural Zone'!

They admit they have have made no attempt to assess the impact of other land users on the 'Natural Zone' or indeed the surface of the route itself. Anything that is unpleasant or undesirable on the route is, apparently, the fault of vehicle users. Presumably this includes dog mess and the associated attacks on livestock and wildlife, litter dropped by walkers, hoof damage and dung left by horses etc etc.

Even if other users do not encounter vehicles while they are in the area, the mere knowledge that they might, is, it seems, destroying the tranquillity of the 'Natural Zone'. I wonder how such people cope with life? Presumably most of them have travelled in motor vehicles to access the route, so the trauma inflicted by the possibility of seeing another motor vehicle while on their perambulations cannot be too great. Indeed the PDNPA provides car parking areas on the route: should these be screened to protect the view and shield them from the sight of those who never came to terms with the 20th century, let alone the 21st?

Similarly people who have visual, hearing or mental impairment may be endangered by vehicles...what attempts are being made to mitigate against all the other dangers that such individuals may not be aware of. The surrounding area is littered with hazards for such individuals.

They talk about the 'historic nature' of the track...part of that history is its use by motorcycles, which has been going on since the earliest years of the last century, but because that doesn't fit in with their 'illustrated souvenir fudge box' view of the countryside it is to be wiped out of history.

They talk about damage to the ecology of the area being caused by motor vehicles...can they reference any independent study which identifies this damage and attributes it specifically and exclusively to motorcycles?

Interestingly, the route has recently been resurfaced by the County Council, apparently in a bid to improve disabled access: this has caused a more drastic change to its appearance and nature than all the ordinary use of the last 20 years. The route can now be negotiated by a 'Tramper': a motorised wheelchair, and it looks like a path in an urban park.

The PDNPA claims that it understands that: "The National Park is for everyone and use of recreational motor vehicles on routes with proven rights is a legitimate activity."

There are proven rights on the route, but these are apparently subordinate to nebulous and invented concepts such at 'tranquillity' and 'Natural Zone' and entirely fictitious hazards postulated for hypothetical disabled people without any evidence at all.

One will search in vain for a direct explanation as to why this should be so in the Peak District National Park Authority's official documentation relating to the matter. But there is a clue.

"Members may have personal interests which may not be prejudicial to the decisions taken."

At the time the decision was taken, the PDNPA's ARP Committee, which was tasked with making the decision was chaired by one Christopher Pennell. The same gentleman was also a leading supporter : a 'Gold Guardian'; of an organisation called The Friends of the Peak District, which has as a core aim the abolition of vehicular rights from all unsurfaced routes in the Peak District. It works closely with other groups, both local and national, who share this aim.

Complaints have been made about this to the PDNPA, but these have been brushed aside, as his membership of this campaigning organisation was a 'personal interest'. This calls the legitimacy of the PDNPA's statement: "Decisions are made in an open and transparent way and Members consider all relevant arguments and evidence put before them before making a final decision," into question.

The FoPD actually quote their supporter Pennell, in his role as ARP Committee Chairman, explaining the 'reasoning' behind his decision to make the closure here http://www.friendsofthepeak.org.uk/Camp ... he_tracks/
It really is as blatant as that.
In the same document FoPD explains that closing Long Causeway to motors has 'long been a priority' for the organisation. How handy then, to have a leading supporter chairing the 'independent' committee which made the final decision having considered all the relevant arguments.

I'm sure the PDNPA's press 'spokesperson' would be able to come up with an interesting response to all the above facts.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Strikes me that the TRF are just pissing into the wind to be honest. When everything is shut I am going to take great pleasure in riding exactly where I want to, as will many others.
Richard Simpson

Thanks once again for your kind words of encouragement.

Whatever you do Mike, don't take your head out of the sand...
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Just being pragmatic, Richard. The TRF have been inefectual in preventing closures. I don't think that can be argued with to be honest, much as I wish it wasn't the case. In the Peaks alone, Chapelgate, Roych, now Stanage plus a number of lower profile routes as well. Whatever TRF have been doing, it's just not working.
Richard Simpson

Well, the TRF hasn't done too badly...the PDNPA closure programme of 10 lanes in a year is years behind schedule, £000,000s over original cost and the two main drivers of it have now retired.

We could have done better, I'm not denying that, but to have done better we'd have needed;

1) More members

2) More activists

3) More money

We are up against powerful and well-connected vested interests who are very good at mobilising comparatively well-off retired locals with little else to do other than find an issue and complain about it.

In contrast, most trail riders are middle-aged, working in demanding jobs or with their own businesses, family demands etc.

We've punched way over our weight in these last years, and more support, whether active or financial, will always be welcome.

I hope to be there Sunday on an old silver 950.
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

hi guys, i am new to all this having just been persuaded away from the tarmac. i haven't joined the TRF yet but am planning to do so soon.
question is, are none TRF members welcome along for this ride as my friend and I would really like to get this one in before it closes.
seems to me that I am getting into this 10 or 15 years to late with all the closures :(

any and all advice appreciated.
kev
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

^^^^ok scrub that^^^^
i've just joined the TRF and paid membership through paypal.

hope to see some of you on sunday at the stockport meeting point. :)

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”