Byway Curious

GreatScott

Byway Curious

Post by GreatScott »

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this so if the Mods wish to move it - be gentle...

My OS map states:

"Restricted byways provide a right of way for walkers, horse riders, cyclists and other non-mechanically propelled vehicles"

Fair enough - I'll just pull over and let them by then or I'm I being over optimistic?

These are Roads Used as Public Paths, reclassified as Restricted Byways. Does that mean that they are still "roads" and I can bomb along them or are they closed to bikes?

As you'll gather I'm new to dirty riding (Harry Hill impression optional) and popped my off road cherry recently and I think I might be hooked ! Bought the boots, booked to do Level 1 at the the GS school in Brecon but struggle to find suitable green lanes. Yes - I know about TRF etc but just curious - err....byway curious :whistle:
Tyrant68

Re: Byway Curious

Post by Tyrant68 »

GreatScott wrote:I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this so if the Mods wish to move it - be gentle...

My OS map states:

"Restricted byways provide a right of way for walkers, horse riders, cyclists and other non-mechanically propelled vehicles"

Fair enough - I'll just pull over and let them by then or I'm I being over optimistic?

These are Roads Used as Public Paths, reclassified as Restricted Byways. Does that mean that they are still "roads" and I can bomb along them or are they closed to bikes?

As you'll gather I'm new to dirty riding (Harry Hill impression optional) and popped my off road cherry recently and I think I might be hooked ! Bought the boots, booked to do Level 1 at the the GS school in Brecon but struggle to find suitable green lanes. Yes - I know about TRF etc but just curious - err....byway curious :whistle:
Nope you can't go down them.
When the NERC bill was passed a couple of years ago a lot of BOATS (byway open to all traffic) were downgraded to RB's.
Byways and UCR'S are just about all we're left with.
TRF are your best bet. Its not full of old boys in cloth caps anymore . :)
Alternatively go to your council with your map and ask to see the definitive map for the area. That will list everything you need.
Try not to stray off, militant Rambliars out there who will clock your reg plate and you could end up with a Section 59 :evil:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Harty

Post by Harty »

As you live in Horsham, you might find this site handy for showing you the local legal lanes you can ride

http://www.qwerf.com/greenlaning/?county=surrey
.....eat my dirt!
hornet

Post by hornet »

Honestly mate go to your local meeting which for you will be

Group Meeting Location : Ashington Social Club, Rear of Red Lion, A24, 9 miles North of Worthing
Last Thursday
Email : [email protected]

or call, send an email or carrier pidgeon

these guys know the runs inside out and will get you the very best day out possible

you pay £40 for a year or now its probably less most meetings are free to go to you will meet like minded people friendly helpful full of knowledge and if your a decent bloke you may well get invited to go on a run out with them.

if you join you have just directly helped to fight off the single minded selfish idiots from trying to close any and every byway ucr or other and you should feel good about it.

save yourself a whole load of agro trying to find lanes trust me they may look easy on maps buts its not easy to find them out in the real world where most of the signs are either in the wrong place(os maps are around 4-5 years out of date usuallly even if it says 2011 its not) or its the wrong sign and there are two tracks side by side and when it forks after 100 yards which way to go ?

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
GreatScott

Post by GreatScott »

@ Tyrant68

I thought that was the case - just checking .:)

@ Harty

Book marked ! 1.32 miles in West Sussex :(

@ Hornet

almost on my door step - cheers :)

Thanks everyone
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Found this, might be of interest:

Section 59 et al.
desert storm

Post by desert storm »

GreatScott wrote: 1.32 miles in West Sussex :(
There's still some useful BOATs in East Sussex, mainly around the Pevensey Levels but, as before, best advice is to check in with the TRF.
HTH, Gary
"You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down.."

"What desert?"

"Doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical"

"Then how come i'd be there?"

"Maybe you're fed up, maybe you wanna be by yourself, who knows?"

BLADE RUNNER, 1982
MadStu

Post by MadStu »

GreatScott wrote:byway curious :whistle:
We go out in East Sussex quite a lot. There's a route we do of around 100 miles or so. I don't know how capable the R1200GS would be on some of the lanes we do round here though, especially if you're inexperienced - I don't wanna be lifting your bike up all day! (My own bike's heavy enough to pick up! ;) )

And my mate Sven (who compiled the BywayDatabase website as listed above) broke his leg after he dropped his R1200GS on his leg the FIRST lane he went on with it. He was wearing full protective gear and motocross boots.

But that being said, you'd be welcome to come for a ride with us, I'm hoping to get my bike sorted and MOT'd ready for a ride next weekend if you're around? The weekend after I'm taking it to Wales for a couple of days of awesomeness (got permission from private forestry land owners to use their tracks :woohoo: plus a motocross track to play on :silly: )

We usually meet at the Beddingham BW8 lane. Give me a shout if you wanna come and we can exchange phone numbers. I've not done any trail riding for about 5 months so I'll be taking it easy.

Stu
HD MT350e - The Wuf

BMW K1100LT
GreatScott

Post by GreatScott »

Cheers Stu

I'm busy next weekend and need some knobblies (riding with trail attacks at moment). I'll work out how to PM you

Hamish

Return to “England”