Best bike two up ????

The Things We Ride
londonwelsh

Re: Best bike two up ????

Post by londonwelsh »

B) if you have an xt660 don't dismiss it's big brother with it's lower seat height, at least get a test ride. My first impression was omg this is big but in fact it's a doddle to ride and - more to the point, my pillion loves it.
londonwelsh

Post by londonwelsh »

.....oh and I'm 5' 10 and ride it in the Higher position, just a thought. Good hunting.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Your not that short there are plenty of people using gs bikes who are shorter than that
You need to test a BMW factory lowered bike I had a test ride on one and it felt like I was wiping my arse on the tarmac, and by the way have you tried a 1200lc there slimmer and feel a lot lower than the earlier models, and if you opt for the gear shift pro you changes are as smooth as a auto box, you can load them up to the gunnels and they still handle great, IMHO any way, and if your not to fussed about a so called Adventure bike you need a pan end of story
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Had the same situation just over two years ago, the missus has real back problems with lots of metal work in there etc. so we tried every Adv style bike out there for 2 up comfort.
For me and her the most comfortable by far is the Triumph Explorer. (thumbs)

But its all down to personal preference whats good for someone is a nightmare for another. one good thing I did do was arrange back to back test rides with 3 bikes in the same day, then when we narrowed it down I then did another back to back with the top two.

Oh and 5'9" isnt short by the way ;)
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

Moto Guzzi Stelvio ,big seat ,340 mile tank
Nigel
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

As somebody just said is there a specific desire for an adventure bike? All of the big adventure bikes are good with a pillion, so your really just looking at seat height and weight. The new V-strom 1000 has an optional lowered seat and when I sat on it I was knees bent and feet flat on the floor, whereas the XT you have now sees me on tippy toes.

To be honest the XT660Z is one of the tallest adventure bikes I've ever sat on, with the exception of the KTM 990 Adventure R, which is 2 inches higher than the standard model. If you manage a Tenere now, you'll manage any adventure bike.

Suzuki are now knocking out the 'Adventure' model with OEM hard luggage for £10k, but loads of dealers are doing it for £9k.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Cheers chaps,

Yes, will look around.

I do love my Xt660Z - probably one of the best 'all in one' bikes here. Like it when on and off the road but when I am solo.

I cannot see it with two up with full luggage but people do it.

It is high and even just me with the luggage it already seems to be top-heavy - cant see my wife on top of it !!

Thanks anyway.

Read about this Kawasaki Versys 1000...interesting bike and 0% finance now.... hm....
steve172

Post by steve172 »

I've just don't a trip up to Applecross on my dad's 1150GS and he has a lowered seat I think, I'm 5'10 and comfortably had both feet flat on the ground.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

Why not spend a day or two actually sitting on the bikes and seeing which suit. Forget personal advice as the vast majority of riders will tell you that their bike is great..go with what feels right for you. You could tour two up on a Transalp/CB500 etc etc
jed54

Post by jed54 »

Versys 1000 for me. I'm 5'7" and have no problems with weight and seat height. Had mine 6 weeks already have 2500 miles on. my daughter loves the comfort. I use trax pannier's. Fully load she rides well. I get around 47mpg loaded and have seen 56mpg on a gentle ride out. Hope this helps. If you go for a test ride leave your cheque book at home.

Return to “BIKES”