Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

The essential art of farkling.
scouse

Re:Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by scouse »

Beemer panniers are as tough as old boots, and old waterproof boots at that.

Dropped my 1100GS on the way down of the Stella this year and they just held the rear of the bike off the dirt... no probs.

On the way home after stopping off to watch the TdF in Albertville I got caught in the edge of that weird tornado storm in Dijon with 60MPH winds and driving torrential rain and not a drop leaked in... think it is just down to things being designed to do a job and not just to look pretty ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
redtyke

Post by redtyke »

hi scouse....my 'plazzy' bm panniers never let me down.funny, i got caught in an awful rain storm around dijon,3,4 hours and dry as a bone.i use inner bags (cheaper copies!)great for taking to b&b in a few seconds. i've found that if the front of the GS 1200 goes thru (filtering)the panniers follow!.....unless you use the expander (i did once) then it could be embarrassing!!....rt
scouse

Post by scouse »

As regards liners for panniers I have a set of rucsac liner bags I bought from Blacks ages ago when I had soft luggage on my Bandit.

They are heavy duty proofed nylon and each one can take a weekends clothes.

For smaller items and to separate gear when we use the rack packs we use Exped stuff bags.

The liner bags cost about a fiver and mine have lasted about 10 years now... and two bikes!
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

I've plagerised this from the TDM forum (Carpe-TDM), but someone posted this link to Wolfman Luggage, I have no experience of, but I would certainly consider...looks interesting to me...

http://www.wolfmanluggage.eu.com/shop/
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Wolfman stuff is quality . I have a tailpack for days ride outs.

I have Ortlieb Soft Panniers .. Look good IMO ..
Fitted with soft panniers frame .. no exhaust burn .
They are Totally weatherproof , no rain baggies needed.

:) :)
davsato

Post by davsato »

givi have new luggage out, jumping on the adventure bandwagon;
http://www.givi.co.uk/cases/monokey/TRK46N-TREKKER

they look alloy but its the usual givi plastic construction with strapping moulded in and metal foil inserts stuck between to give the illusion. and the top 1/4 opens by itself, like the E41 panniers they do.
not aimed at us really, but charlie+ewbie 'wannabees' that like the look but want the practicality of plastic (and lets be honest, givi plastics is top quality)

the problem ive got with it is the price, £214 per case. for that you can get a 41ltr ZEGA from thievatech
Dave
sven

Post by sven »

davsato wrote:givi have new luggage out, jumping on the adventure bandwagon;
http://www.givi.co.uk/cases/monokey/TRK46N-TREKKER

they look alloy but its the usual givi plastic construction with strapping moulded in and metal foil inserts stuck between to give the illusion. and the top 1/4 opens by itself, like the E41 panniers they do.
not aimed at us really, but charlie+ewbie 'wannabees' that like the look but want the practicality of plastic (and lets be honest, givi plastics is top quality)

the problem ive got with it is the price, £214 per case. for that you can get a 41ltr ZEGA from thievatech
Most standard model GS's have been sold with plastic BMW Vario panniers for the past few years and the Givi Trekker compliments these whilst being considerably cheaper and larger than a BMW Vario topcase. I only paid £177 delivered from Italy.
Attachments
P1000687.jpg
P1000687.jpg (82.7 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Sprockette

Re: Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by Sprockette »

Really useful if you're a student moving house!

This is before I got my bandit.

In all seriousness, I've had these panniers for years, they fitted all my bikes bar the Hornet (high exhaust), very useful especially with a soft tail pack, tank bag and a backpack too.
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

strimstrum wrote:Talking of panniers.... did anyone see the two lads at the HU meeting in Ripley who made their own panniers for a RTW trip out of old fridge drawers ? I'd love to think that they will make it round with those bungeed to their bikes but I have my doubts.
I met up with Simon in Spain in November, he was heading back to the uk with his girlfriend and had swapped his fridge draw panniers for various bags on a massive home made rack.

John his travelling companion was heading through Africa on his GS500 with the fridge draw pannys still intact and functional at that point.
Real men ride twins ;-)
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

paula wrote:I have been looking at the wolfman soft pan's too, they look great only thing is being bright yellow and my bike being bright yellow I may be in danger of looking like a big blob of custard going down the road ....to the untrained eye! lol :silly:
The Wolfman dry panniers and duffle bags come in black as well as yellow.

ImageImage

Return to “ACCESSORIES”