Suzuki XF650 Repair or RIP

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Martinl69

Suzuki XF650 Repair or RIP

Post by Martinl69 »

I bought a Suzuki XF650 as a second bike years ago, for the last couple of years it's sat in the garage with no MOT. Got it out a few weeks ago and the battery was dead, so I thought I'd have a go at bump starting it. 5 minutes later disaster! Petrol started pouring out of sprocket cover, pushed it back in the garage and there it stays. I'm assuming it's terminal and needs a serious engine strip down.

Question is, is it even worth trying to fix?

They're not exactly a popular bike and I don't think parts will be readily available. Add this to the fact that I've worked on cars in the past and handy with tools but I'm not the greatest motorcycle mechanic and I can see myself stripping the bike down only for it to stay in 200 pieces for me to trip over every time I go into the garage.

Do I fix it, MOT it and flog it or stick in on eBay for £1!
Stewie

Re: Suzuki XF650 Repair or RIP

Post by Stewie »

I'll have it for a £1 :laugh: , but seriously if it's petrol it should be an easy fix, have you checked the lines, they have probably perished.
If you are going to sell, can I have first refusal... :)
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

I don't think it's the lines (could be wrong), it wasn't leaking prior to getting it out of the garage. I might start stripping it down just to see. I don't want to end up with a stripped bike sat in my garage for the next 10 years.

If I decide to get shut I'll post here first, I know they're not the most popular bikes but it served me well and I was reluctant to sell it after I bought the GS but it never got used again.

When you say "it should be easy to fix", does these mean I can just hit it with a big hammer and job done? : )
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

The CCM644 uses the same engine and I seem to remember that with those if you leave the fuel tap open and on the side stand the floats allow petrol past and it fills the crankcases so it could be something similar with yours??? might just be a case of changing the oil and cleaning out the carbs etc to get it back up and running? (thumbs)
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Don't panic...I suspect you left the petrol on and its leaked into the crankcase as described.

Change the oil, charge the battery and carry on
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Thanks guys,

Just drained the oil and it looks like all the petrol has flowed into the engine! So I've just drained about 3 litres of petrol instead of oil.

Is it worth doing an oil change and putting fuel back in the tank or is going to just flow back into the engine?

Cheers!
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Personally I'd ditch both oil and petrol (or use the petrol in the lawn mower :woohoo: ), check the fuel tap and carb floats, change the oil filter as well.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

Yup. Bin both and put some new in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I of the strom

Post by I of the strom »

As said above so I'm repeating, good engine I have one in the CCM and is known for this problem but in addition, these may not have been popular here, you see more on the continent, but I thing that was more to do with Suzuki not putting much effort into them and also the number alternatives available based on more popular engines. So in response to original question - fix as described and enjoy
bull

Post by bull »

its might be as simple as Hohhyf and Richard have said above, a fuel tap vaccum problem of some kind

or maybe it might need a carb overhaul, or something simple like that

change the oil and filter, and when the bike is parked, turn off the fuel tap

but if your not sure, ask your local mechanic he will know, and he probably sort that problem out in an hour or so

that's my view anyway

Return to “TECHNICAL”