Advice please: Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass, Devils Staircase and Tregaron.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
jameskaya

Advice please: Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass, Devils Staircase and Tregaron.

Post by jameskaya »

Heading of up through Wales in 4 weeks with my Dad for our first father/son trip away. I have previously ridden around the Elan Valley and plan to do this again. But would really like to incorporate this area as well,

Whats the best route?

Is the road around Llyn Brianne a tarmac road ?

We are more than happy to ride very small lanes but Dad would not want to take his Pan on gravel roads.

Cheers,

James
Paul-S

Re: Advice please: Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass, Devils Staircase and Tregaron.

Post by Paul-S »

James they are all single track and tarmac

Enjoy

I ususally do the route from Beulah to Aber and through the valley along the pass then up the staircase and follow the road to Llyn Brianne when I am heading for South Wales

If you are heading up from darn sarfff a must do is the military road after Brecon from Trecastle up to Tirabad

From there you can cross the A40 and get to Llyn Brianne and do the route up

When you get to Beulah there is a great back road that bypasses Llandrindod Wells and you come out south of Crossgates where there is a great cafe meeting point

Before getting up this far you could turn left and head for Rhyader and see the Elan Valley and all the routes around Claewern Reservoire

All tarmac and mostly enjoyable

Enjoy your trip

Dont forget the pics

Regs

Paul
bikenav

Re: Advice please: Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass, Devils Staircase and Tregaron.

Post by bikenav »

the road on the east of Lyn Brianne is tar but not the track to to the west.There is a track(N) around the Claerwen Reservoir but it is easy gravel. Perhaps look at Tregaron-Beulah,Garth or Builth-Brecon,Tirabad-Llywel,A4069 Brynaman-Llandovery(bike cafe's) or any of the N-S roads to the east of that. Should be an easy day lap in that somewhere, but if you want more perhaps Devils Bridge or Gower. Hope that helps,and you enjoy my country. Anything else please ask will try to help. Paul.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Spot on Paul

Forgot to mention the gravel tracks aswell

Your country is great mate

Regsrds

Paul
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

Depending how far north you're coming a run around Lake Vyrnwy and the roads to the west are worth doing also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
bimota

Post by bimota »

jameskaya wrote:Heading of up through Wales in 4 weeks with my Dad for our first father/son trip away. I have previously ridden around the Elan Valley and plan to do this again. But would really like to incorporate this area as well,

Whats the best route?

Is the road around Llyn Brianne a tarmac road ?

We are more than happy to ride very small lanes but Dad would not want to take his Pan on gravel roads.

Cheers,

hi james,

i live very close to that area and regulary go to LLANDOVERY then into that llyn brianne to tregaron etc and all last year i only had a st1300 pan to do it on and every section was tarmac,

honestly it gets narrow here and there but a pan is go problem.

rob

James
bimota

Post by bimota »

Paul-S wrote:James they are all single track and tarmac

Enjoy

I ususally do the route from Beulah to Aber and through the valley along the pass then up the staircase and follow the road to Llyn Brianne when I am heading for South Wales

If you are heading up from darn sarfff a must do is the military road after Brecon from Trecastle up to Tirabad

From there you can cross the A40 and get to Llyn Brianne and do the route up

When you get to Beulah there is a great back road that bypasses Llandrindod Wells and you come out south of Crossgates where there is a great cafe meeting point

Before getting up this far you could turn left and head for Rhyader and see the Elan Valley and all the routes around Claewern Reservoire

All tarmac and mostly enjoyable

Enjoy your trip

Dont forget the pics

Regs

Paul
hi paul thats the route i use most weekends after the OWLS NEST stop for tea at llandovery

rob
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

You lucky man Rob
bimota

Post by bimota »

cheers paul,
yep
the military road tirabad is great lucky i,m only 35 minutes away from this area.

rob
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

The last couple of route's have wetted my appetite to get out :)
Might just try a few of them out this saturday (thumbs)
If your not the lead dog the view never change's

Return to “TRAVEL”