Can you tour on a naked bike?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
waynecoluk

Can you tour on a naked bike?

Post by waynecoluk »

Well I'm going to find out as I'm off to Germany for a week tomorrow.
I was meant to go on the Multistrada but it went bang and the Versys Tourer isn't ready to pick up so it's got to be on the Triumph Street Triple.
I know you can tour on any bike but riding a naked above 70 can be a chore and there will be a few motorways involved so I'm not really looking forward to the ride down. Once we get there we have a hotel booked for 4 nights so can leave all the luggage there.
Any tips on how to make it more comfortable by guys that have done it?
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
chico

Re: Can you tour on a naked bike?

Post by chico »

try and avoid m/ways, I find riding a naked bike over 60 a chore and unpleasant, so slower the better....others may be harder than me though :laugh:

where you going out of interest....
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Do some exercises to strengthen your neck muscles?

I toured Germany two-up in the 1970s on an unfaired Honda 400/4. Even 40 years later I remember how painful it was hitting bugs at motorway speeds.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
bimota

Post by bimota »

he,ll probably find the excerise thing a bit pointless as he,s going tommorrow

:laugh: :laugh:
londonwelsh

Post by londonwelsh »

I find a tank bag helps reduce buffeting / strain. Whatever - enjoy! (thumbs)
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I'm going to the Black Forest. We are staying near triberg, we went through there last year on the way back from the alps and thought it looked lovely, hence the week touring around the area.
When we get there the bike should be quite good for those roads but there and back may be a chore. I was going to get a fly screen but as the Ducati went bang last minute and the fact they are £160 I though I'd try with out.
I think I'll get enough neck muscle exercise on the way down...
I'll try and do a ride report when I get back if I can work out how to down load the piccies.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I used to ride an un-faired CB750 and strangely going faster (+20 :dry: :ohmy: ) on motorways made it easier - at least it got the journey over quicker. Otherwise I kept to about 60 and the wind blast wasn't too bad - also toured Scotland with the Mrs on her CB500 and it was ok.

Enjoy your trip
Harv
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tape some stiff carboard/thin plastic over the clocks :laugh:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
chico

Post by chico »

waynecoluk wrote:I'm going to the Black Forest. We are staying near triberg, we went through there last year on the way back from the alps and thought it looked lovely, hence the week touring around the area.
When we get there the bike should be quite good for those roads but there and back may be a chore. I was going to get a fly screen but as the Ducati went bang last minute and the fact they are £160 I though I'd try with out.
I think I'll get enough neck muscle exercise on the way down...
I'll try and do a ride report when I get back if I can work out how to down load the piccies.

well, enjoy anyway...it'll still be miles better than being at work.... (thumbs)
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Yea yo deffo can. Last summer a friend whos a girl not girlfriend toured over 3000 miles of France from N Ireland with me. She rode a 600cc Honda Hornet. She only suffered on the motorways at speeds around 80. On all the other roads it wasent a problem for her.

Return to “TRAVEL”