Can I ride on a beach?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson

Re: Can I ride on a beach?

Post by Richard Simpson »

Remember there is no such thing as 'public land' in the UK. All land is owned (some of it, including many beaches) by local authorities or other organisations promoting public access (National Trust etc).

There are normally local bylaws governing under what circumstances you can drive on the beach, but it is usually only allowed to launch and recover boats etc. Some local authorities allow parking on beaches in designated spaces.

The area between high and low water is, I understand, owned by the Crown. So you'd have to ask Her Maj!
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

davsato wrote:as far as i know doctorzippy is right, this reminds me of a shooting rights row we had years ago.
'then', (dont know about now), yes the land exposed by the dropping tide is technically owned by nobody as its not permanent and you can do what you want within reason. this is where it differs from your problem craig- we could technically, shoot wildfowl all along any stretch where we could also comply with the law and thats where they got us, we couldnt get far enough away from a public right of way or someone in the water, there being so many footpaths and private residences around here. (you must shoot more than 50' from and shoot away from a public right of way or private land you dont have permission to shoot on. doesnt sound much but try it down here!)

for you, i would say go for it, stay on the tideline and if anyone complains give them what for, your bike is a lot cleaner and safer than 90% of dog owners that leave presents on the beach for kids to play in
Unless it's dropped and there is a fuel spill, can't sea that doing the fishes any good.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Richard Simpson wrote:The area between high and low water is, I understand, owned by the Crown. So you'd have to ask Her Maj!
Sorry, WHO?! :whistle:
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
steve xr33

Post by steve xr33 »

We used do it years ago in Devon & Cornwall its a big no no ! as we live down here
cops take a dim view of it Give Cornwall TRF shout they will take you around some great lanes & across the river Tamar(some of the lanes are bloody hard :woohoo: Nice beaches down there was camping near padstow at the weekend hope this helps
Photo0029.jpg
Photo0029.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Photo0028.jpg
Photo0028.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
GUNDOG

Post by GUNDOG »

Don't forget the WD40.......
underwater bike.jpg
underwater bike.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Treat every situation like a dog..

If you can't hump it or eat it, piss on it and walk away.
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

Richard Simpson wrote:The area between high and low water is, I understand, owned by the Crown. So you'd have to ask Her Maj!
I'm with Richard on this one, riding below high-water can still get you in trouble, but just a different sort of trouble. However, you could always pop over to Essex and have a go at the Broomway, a 6 mile long right of way that you aren't going to ride if the tide is in!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=60 ... &A=Y&Z=120
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

All I know is that it is strictly against the law here in France and strongly enforced. I had always assumed that it was the same situation in the UK.

Entering the Weston-s-mare beach race will probably satisfy the urge
davsato

Post by davsato »

steve xr33 wrote: Nice beaches down there was camping near padstow at the weekend
what, they allow bikes in steintown?
Dave
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

well it will come down to local council bye laws , but the plod will be few and far between on the south coast , no signs and un-gated access etc , and you will allways get some old git on the phone to us Image
Paul

Post by Paul »

I grew up just outside Blackpool an as a young teen had a coouple of field bikes that we also took on the beach.
Now I am going back 33, yes 33 years but, although there were odd encounters with the plod the law said we could ride as long as we were 50 metres from the sea wall.

Saying that the sand and salt knackered my Puch M50 sport that I paid £10 for. :(

Return to “THE PUB”