Seeking Modest Adventures

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Elle

Re: Seeking Modest Adventures

Post by Elle »

Welcome from W.Yorks :)
I would encourage you to join TRF even if you don't ride with them again - they're fighting to keep the lanes open. Ensure you ride legal vehicle tracks avoiding bad attitudes from ramblers (& you can politely educate them as necessary).
As suggested, add your name to any of the ABR and non-ABR events & find other "granddads" to ride with too ;)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Elle wrote:Welcome from W.Yorks :)
I would encourage you to join TRF even if you don't ride with them again - they're fighting to keep the lanes open. Ensure you ride legal vehicle tracks avoiding bad attitudes from ramblers (& you can politely educate them as necessary).
As suggested, add your name to any of the ABR and non-ABR events & find other "granddads" to ride with too ;)
Oi, you....... behave.

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

Thanks for all the welcomes!
Seems like a very active forum.

C2C....
Yes C2C means coast to coast (at least to me). I was intending to post a separate thread to ask for help with routes between (approx) St Bees and Robin Hoods Bay/Scarborough.
2 years ago I did my own version of the MTB C2C, 200 miles and 25K feet of climbing in 5 days, culminating in an ascent of Rossett Ghyll and descent into Wasdale. I am hoping for a much easier time on the KLX, and 3 days:
1) Leeds to St Bees via Salter Fell, staying at Borrowdale YHA
2) Borrowdale to East Coast taking in Bainbridge Roman Road and the lovely track just SE of Aysgarth + ??? (it's remarkably diffult to link up a route because all the tracks seem to run north - south).
3) Back to Leeds on B roads.
I would like to do this using no A roads, but I don't think it's possible.

Best,
Dave
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Welcome on Board Dave :) (thumbs)
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Welcome from another MTB'r. (thumbs)

A couple of years back I did the Scottish C2C from Isle of Skye to Montrose - about 300 mile mostly off road over 6 days (about 5,500m ascent).

Like you, I haven't successfully converted my MTB off road skills to the motorbike but it doesn't stop me from dreaming big :laugh:

On the upside, if you pack like you are still on the MTB, the bike is easy to pick up after you drop it :whistle:
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Arthur Pint Motor

DaleC wrote: Like you, I haven't successfully converted my MTB off road skills to the motorbike but it doesn't stop me from dreaming big :laugh:
I am surprised how different the feel of the bike is to the MTB, I guess the fact that it weights 12X as much is the reason why.
Rut swapping is so easy on the MTB and so difficult on the MC, OTOH scrabling up rocky climbs is 10X easier with a motor, low CoG and plenty of soft suspension.

Dreaming big....
before I got the KLX is used to watch instructional youtube vids showing how to make enduro bikes leap up cliffs and over 4' logs etc :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Reality, not so big....

[img]http://Image[/img]
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:I am surprised how different the feel of the bike is to the MTB, I guess the fact that it weights 12X as much is the reason why.
I weigh 6 times more than my Enduro 6" mtb or the Ti Hardtails whereas my (lightened) Yamaha XT660R weighs over twice my weight! :woohoo:

I use my weight to advantage on the MTB and disadvantage (skills, lack of) on the Yamaha. With powerful brakes on both MTB's, I only need 1 finger for absolute control but I struggle the same with the clutch hand on the Yamaha. I think I would find myself in way more trouble than I do, but MTB'ing has at least given me fantastic balance :whistle:

I like climbing big hills with ease on the motorised version and love descending silly steep stuff on the other :silly:

Oh - and I don't like sand or mud on either....
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Arthur Pint Motor

DaleC wrote: I use my weight to advantage on the MTB and disadvantage (skills, lack of) on the Yamaha. With powerful brakes on both MTB's, I only need 1 finger for absolute control but I struggle the same with the clutch hand on the Yamaha. I think I would find myself in way more trouble than I do, but MTB'ing has at least given me fantastic balance :whistle:

I like climbing big hills with ease on the motorised version and love descending silly steep stuff on the other :silly:

Oh - and I don't like sand or mud on either....
My MTB is a Giant Anthem X, 25lbs, super-quick steering and 4" travel = singletrack demon. Gets a bit out of its depth on the big stuff though.

Agree about the balance. In addition I notice I have good "economy of power" skills, compared to ex-road motorcyclists I was much better at keeping momentum up steep rocky hills - where they tended to use lots of throttle and end up on the deck.

I also hate mud!!

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”