Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941

Re: Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by Spike941 »

TSB, The Brittany Ferry docks, for want of a better expression, in the middle of the town. (Santander) Well signposted and easy to find. Obviously not sure where LD dock, but would guess it's the same place. No problem with arriving early, parking up in the queue and walking into town for a beer etc. all very civilised.
Sorry to hear about the fishermen. I'm in Spain at the moment and due to return to the UK in a couple of weeks via Santander - Portsmouth. Hoping my luck isn't about to run out.
SimonXR

Post by SimonXR »

Just to add that Brittany Ferries have started an "economie" service to Spain now. £89 crossing (each way) plus whatever accommodation/seat you choose.

---------------------following a phone call to Brittany Ferries---------------------------------
Have checked more into this now and the price will depend on when you go. For example, end of August coming back is £160 but a week later is £74. All cabins are four berth but there is an under occupancy discount of £30 per cabin for one or two people and £15 for three.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Mike101 wrote:Seasickness is a strange thing to behold and it's not nice at all for anybody.

I am on the water a lot in yachts so I've been there, done it and seen it all when it comes to blowing chunks.

The two most important things to do are...

Drink lots of water....if you feel I'll you won't drink so you will feel ill and down and down you go.

Lay flat on the floor or a bed...when you are laying flat you are not affected by it. You must do this before you start to feel ill.

Trust me as they do work.

Mike
I will second that. Eat well, but well in advance, hit the bunk and be sorted before you leave port. I have done 10 hour crossings in bad weather and known nothing about it.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Crossing was very calm. Bit bumpy during the night, but like a mill pond for the rest.

We were 2hrs late into Santander.

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Spike941 wrote:TSB, The Brittany Ferry docks, for want of a better expression, in the middle of the town. (Santander) Well signposted and easy to find. Obviously not sure where LD dock, but would guess it's the same place. No problem with arriving early, parking up in the queue and walking into town for a beer etc. all very civilised.
Sorry to hear about the fishermen. I'm in Spain at the moment and due to return to the UK in a couple of weeks via Santander - Portsmouth. Hoping my luck isn't about to run out.
Hi Spike,

Thanks for this, actually I was wondering abut the Gijón route - so we've got our wired crossed :S

Slightly better news about the fishing boat, if only a bit better, I heard the story on the news after it came out as didn't realise that there was one survivor: in the very first instant the owner/captain escaped. But the remaining eight are lost and they haven't been able to recover all of the bodies still stuck inside the hull, quite a nightmare really.

Details in Spanish here, but don't let it spoil your trip - all the fishing communities know and accept the risks, brave people.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

All seafarers know that one day old Neptune may come a calling, 12 years at sea and I've seen some very interesting weather.
Been across the Biscay many many times and I can't remember ever having a really bad crossing.
The only things that put me off using the crossings are (a) boredom (b) the fear of a bad crossing and getting my bike damaged, not so bad on the way back but going out ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Thanks for this, actually I was wondering abut the Gijón route - so we've got our wired crossed

Sorry mate, can't help. Never been to Gijon.
Just looked at the Brittany Ferries Economie fares, and they are between £75 and £135 cheaper in September for 2 bikes and riders sharing a cabin. I think they start running thse no frills routes this week. Look forward to someone posting shortly what it's like, and whether it's worth the saving.
SimonXR

Post by SimonXR »

Spike941 wrote: Just looked at the Brittany Ferries Economie fares, and they are between £75 and £135 cheaper in September for 2 bikes and riders sharing a cabin. I think they start running thse no frills routes this week. Look forward to someone posting shortly what it's like, and whether it's worth the saving.
Following my phone call to Brittany Ferries on Sunday, I've booked the new economy service from Portsmouth to Santander for Saturday August 23rd. I've booked a cabin and got a discount. Its cost me £150. I'm coming back from St Malo a week later.

The new service has opened up that particular time of the year to Spain for me. Prior to that it was too expensive and I would normally go in June, maybe early July at a push.

I've done the Pont Aven on many occasions so it will be good to compare the two services. The ferry leaves Portsmouth at 08:15 and gets in for 11:15 the following day. I'm very pleased with the arrival time because it means I can get the N623 to Burgos rattled off during a nice quiet time of Sunday.

Happy days!
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Just replied to a pm, thought I would post it here also.....

Cabins were a decent size, about the same as the bigger ferry from Brittany Ferries.

Only had 1 meal, basic stuff, the choice was fish and chips or chilli con carne. 10-11 euro. Bottle of Corona was 3.40 euro.

Bikes had a strap over the seat and a smaller stap each side. They put a rubber mat over the seat. Crossing was quiet and only 4 bikes but all were ok.

The boat is small, the bar/restaurant area was the only communal area but there was a small cinema showing 4 different filmes.

I slept most of the time after ODing on Stugeron..... ;-)

If it's calm then it's worth the saving on Brittany, but I would guess a rough crossing would not be nice.

I asked for a cabin in the centre of the ship shortly after I booked and got just that. There's less movement there.

Keep an eye on the sailing update page on their site, has info about cancelled crossings etc.

BTW, there's bugger all at the port after you check in, don't get there too early.

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......

Return to “TRAVEL”