France B+Bs close to Caen and Cherbourg

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil

France B+Bs close to Caen and Cherbourg

Post by Guest »

Hi to all,
Im off to France in september,sailing from Portsmouth to Caen,im looking for a B+B,small hotel etc,(dont want to use the Formule 1s and other ''budget''ones)close to Caen,arriving at 1900 local time,so dont want to go looking for a place that time of the evening,(far to stressful)any members know of any,or indeed used one in the area...also looking for one for my return journey in Cherbourg,again in or close to the centre ready for the ferry next morning at 11am,
I know if i do a search online there will be a good selection,however,i would prefer to have some recommendations from fellow riders,e.g,prahaps you know of one with secure parking,or better still a garage with some decent food on offer,etc
Thanks for your help,its appreciated
Nomad

Re:France B+Bs close to Caen and Cherbourg

Post by Nomad »

There are a few sites to help you find good accommodation in France aimed specifically at bikers... Here are some links I have used when planning in the past...

www.bike-stay.net/france/index.html

www.allan-wren.com/biker_friendly_accommodation-f.html

www.bikersbedsfrance.co.uk/
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...

Post by Guest »

Sincere thanks for that nomad,i shall get stright onto those sites and see what i can find.
smudge

Post by smudge »

brevav2 wrote:
Hi to all,
Im off to France in september,sailing from Portsmouth to Caen,im looking for a B+B,small hotel etc,(dont want to use the Formule 1s and other ''budget''ones)close to Caen,arriving at 1900 local time,so dont want to go looking for a place that time of the evening,(far to stressful)any members know of any,or indeed used one in the area...also looking for one for my return journey in Cherbourg,again in or close to the centre ready for the ferry next morning at 11am,
I know if i do a search online there will be a good selection,however,i would prefer to have some recommendations from fellow riders,e.g,prahaps you know of one with secure parking,or better still a garage with some decent food on offer,etc
Thanks for your help,its appreciated
We always use 'Budget' hotels in France, Mr Beds, Premier class, Ibis etc. Never had any problems with bike security, we always ensure the bike is parked as close to the main reception door as possible, (or an adjoining 24 hour reception hotel if needs be), with solid lock and chain in full view. :) although I agree with your Formula 1 rating, bit too budget that one.
Tempting fate now :dry: Start our travels Tuesday 17th !!!!:S
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Some of the Formula 1's can be a bit downmarket and I tend to look for an alternative unless things are really desperate. We used one near Lille last year and as we pulled into the car park, the police were leading someone away in handcuffs. Didn't give a very good first impression.

Going one step up, the Etap chain has always been good value for us. They feel just that bit safer and are usually situated in a slightly better part of town. In the summer months / ski season you'll see a lot of UK registered cars overnighting in them. Two years ago we were staying in one near Reims and left the next morning about the same time as 20+ big, heavy set, "don't mess with us" look blokes. It was two minibuses of French CRS police on their way to a conference. Sums up the difference that 10€ will get you and probably the safest night's sleep I've ever had!

There's five Etaps in Caen!

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your advice guys,really appreciate it

Return to “TRAVEL”