Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Nickw909

Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by Nickw909 »

I'm not a good sailor... :sick:

The cost is half that of Brittany Ferries, but it concerns me that the ferries that LD use are quite a lot smaller and thus more prone to a ruff ride, am I right?

Anybody have any 1st hand experience?

Thanks,

Nick.
Tramp

Re: Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by Tramp »

nope..but the brittany ferry has ant rolling thrusters to help in the storms ..dowt the LD ferry will have these and its half the size :laugh: ..

its been cancelled quite a bit recently due to winter storms..It really is only viable in spring to early autumn crossings in my view..hence my choice of mid may crossing..very rare to get storms in the BAY of Biscay then..but even a slight swell will induce :sick: :sick: ..usual sign is ferry staff removing the glasses and crockery :woohoo: ..

I feel sick on the fast cats..so its ant vomit tablets and double sleeping tablets for me..Zombie walking :P ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Norman_Asturias

been about a bit like all Boats..food is basic etc...the Brittany new Ferry is more like a cruise ship...but its deffinately cheap £40 more than crossing from portsmoutn to caen for me..

where you thinking of going B)
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Towards the end of March.

Came back in early November on Brittany and managed to get something to eat and get back to my cabin as the ferry was leaving. It hadn't got out of the bay at Santander and I was almost heaving.....

Nick.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Brittan Ferries Pont Aven is the biggest ship on the route. It also serves Cork Roscoff in summer.

Bigger ship copes with waves better and its the best of them. One time they put a small ship on the Cork Roscoff route and it got hit by a storm. The car deck and everything in it was completely destroyed. Cars upside down and everything.

Bay of Biscay is not the best place and cancellation risk is probably significant enough on the Gijon route to suggest have a backup plan. I don't recall the Pont Aven being cancelled as it runs in most weathers.

25 hours is a long trip and in poor weather probably an ordeal. I have used ferries a lot but not really had too many bad crossings but most were Irish sea crossings.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

thing is nick if your prone to seasickness as i am too you may as well be miserable for half price

it looks alright to me russ ..ive booked on it today ..apparantly were on the stormin norman ..or the good ship Norman Asturias

ittle be reet lad (thumbs) :evil:

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

That's the photo of the Stormin' Norman and thought......hmmmmm that looks like a little boat to go all that way..... :sick: :sick:

Nick.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

reason its cheap is because its got a Greek crew on the bridge :woohoo: :whistle:

Opps ment to say Italian after the little island accident ..

cool Minky :cheer: ...
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Got a feeling I'm going to regret this but.......

Booked on the 22nd March, looks like I'll be testing it out for you guys.....(and some of those trails in Portugal..... (thumbs) )

Nick.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

minkyhead wrote:thing is nick if your prone to seasickness as i am too you may as well be miserable for half price

it looks alright to me russ ..ive booked on it today ..apparantly were on the stormin norman ..or the good ship Norman Asturias

ittle be reet lad (thumbs) :evil:

I've seen bigger pleasure cruisers on the Thames!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

AndyB wrote:
minkyhead wrote:

The LD boat looks very much like the Isle of Man Steam Packet Companys `Ben-My-Chree`, IMHO...

it`s not called the...

[sup][/sup]Vomit Comet for nothing...

She`ll be reet :unsure:

Return to “TRAVEL”