Morocco managing the heat

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Has anyone been to Morocco in August? if so what was you trip like? what tips have you for the heat and where did you ride?

PLEASE DONT REPLY WITH DONT GO IN AUGUST !!!! AS THATS NOT WHAT I AM ASKING FOR. YES I KNOW THE TEMPERATURE. NO I CANNOT GO AT ANY OTHER TIME. YES IAM A SEASONED TRAVELLER.

I have got myself some wicking shirts and a camelbak so far.

Have printed the boarder paperwork off

I have a month to travel.

Just looking for some tips for the heat really.
l8ktm

Re: Morocco managing the heat

Post by l8ktm »

No idea if these work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Latest-Ar ... 588c5e4816
but for 3 quid might be worth a try.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

This could be a winner, it will dry out pretty quick at bike speed but the science is sound enough :cheer:

l8ktm wrote:No idea if these work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Latest-Ar ... 588c5e4816
but for 3 quid might be worth a try.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
JumboSi

Post by JumboSi »

Haven't biked in that sort of heat but I am ex mil and an ex mountain leader and survival instructor. My only tips would be to watch your head (metaphorically). Keep the sun off and keep it cool. And hydration. When you are sweating that much do not think that just water will keep you going. You lose your body salts as well so you need to replace those. You can get little packs of rehydration salts, or get them in tablet form, they're an absolute must. They reckon you need to drink something like 1.5 times the fluid you lose to rehydrate following the loss and in hot dry climates that is an fully large mount. Use the salts as per the instruction leaflet.

The only other thing is to make sure you, and anyone you are with, know the signs and symptoms for heat stroke and sunstroke and what to do about it.

The only other thing is ENJOY, you lucky sod!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What goes up........
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Thanks I found them on a American site for about £5 but they wanted £40 for postage! Go out doors sold them last year but have non at the moment so thanks for the link :cheer: I had looked on ebay but its difficult to know what to put in. Thats great thanks Im going to try it :)
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Thanks jumbo any particular brand you recommend for the minerals and salts?
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

I have been several times but only once in Mid summer. That was in 1986 . It was hellish hot as I recall. I went as far in land as Ouarzazate then turned back and headed for the coastal routes where although still hot at least you had the sea breeze to help keep you cool.

Just make sure you drink plenty having a sip every few minutes while riding. Hotels are plenty full and cheap so I would not camp inland in mid summer when a room will be nice and cool to sleep in. I would also run a 20/50 oil in my bike at that time of the year. Also if your on a water cooled bike make sure the radiator is clean and not full of road grim.

Have a great trip . Dazzer
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

a 50/50 mix of water and orange juice with sea salt added, add as much salt to the point you can taste it then back off with it some, that a good cheap hydration and energy mix.

Dyralite (sp?) from the chemist is another good source, they are the little sachets you had as a kid when you got the runs.

Have a look at sports site for rehydration mixes, try a few triathlon sites and iron man sites.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I see your a lady biker and on a gs1200?

I lived in west africa for a couple of years and first summer was brutal 45 to 50c winter a cool 26c..second summer was far easier to handle..

Reason i had become acclimatized ..but still avoided the mid day heat..as do most Africans and drank lots like 10ltrs+ a day..and used rehydration packs too to keep the salts and chemical balance up..

Riding the suzuki ts250 was okay when moving but in towns again no fun..

so i`d really try and get used to hot temps before going if possible..sauna etc..

mike54 should have some good advice as will Tim ..

Return to “TRAVEL”