No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

beddowsm

Re: No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

Post by beddowsm »

Sprockette wrote:Maybe something based on trails or byways etc?
Would be good, but how to measure success? Maybe total distance travelled on different trails?

Would get a lot involved and could end up mapping a lot of different trails throughout the UK, submit the start and end of each trail (maybe along with a description as well). Could end up being a good repository of trails to supplement the mag green lanes?

But how to confirm that no one is cheating could be an issue, as trails are not signposted (name wise) so photos could be a waste of time.
Hendo

Post by Hendo »

We'll I haven't posted in about a year but this has grabbed my attention :)

Not sure trails would be the best, a lot of people just ride local trails due to lack of trailer etc... And it's quite hard to regulate, as previously mentioned.

I like the race track idea! Although not very adventure bike rider, more road bike rider? :unsure:

How about sticking with the RAF stations idea, but to avoid the picture issues with active RAF stations, why not look into old RAF stations? There is so many about, all remote and some still with signs?

I wouldn't be able to run it myself but I can help collate a list if we go with it? (thumbs)
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Fordy wrote:That's a real shame. I really enjoyed doing this years challenge as you might have guessed.

The problem with football grounds in my opinion is they're in urban locations which doesn't make for good riding. This years challenge meant you didn't need to go into the town or city, just ride to the outskirts and take a photo and then turn around and ride some more. Superb.

I've looked through previous years challenges and the Nature Rally seemed well received. How about a similar challenge based on RAF bases? They're spread around the country from Scotland to Cornwall (sorry but not Norn Iron), will be mostly in rural locations and the RAF has an officer ranking system that could be used to grade competitors, e.g. Squadron Leader, Wing Commander etc. that could be amusing.

As far as I can see all the previous challenges have used photos of bikes in the location to score points. That also gives a visual reference to forum users that a GPS record just doesn't convey. I think photo records should stay.

If the idea is liked I'm happy to come up with a scoring system, I've got a list of locations and ranks from Wikipedia already. I'd need some help with the admin, particularly producing signature awards, but will give it a go. As long as I can also compete ;)
Does this also include old WW2 airfields?...I hope so.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
suzivstrom650

Post by suzivstrom650 »

Lots of old airfields dotted around NI.(Some are now converted to racetracks).So its a challenge the NI ABRs could easily take part in.
rwhite148f

Post by rwhite148f »

I like the idea of the Airfields and taking photos as proof. If we kept it to old Airfields we wouldn't get into trouble for taking photos and there are some pretty cool old ones to visit. Quite a few have museums or small collections of Aircraft, or are racing circuits; so there would be something to do whilst you were there. And yes there are plenty scattered around the UK as well as the rest of the world, Germany and the Outer Hebrides to name a few. We could chuck the odd challenging one inn.

I'd be happy to help compile a list.
pigpenn

Post by pigpenn »

i would just like to thankyou jim for your time and effort you put in to the challenges,i am still doing the nature rally i know it has finished but i spend a week in each park riding round and camping.with my limited time it makes it easer to pick a destination and go.i know that was`nt quite the idea but thankyou you have made a difference.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

There's a list of former RAF bases here.

One potential issue is the sheer number of them. The Nature Rally had 20 locations spread around the country and you got gold for visiting all 20. The Holy Grail had 31 locations, and you got Knight for visiting all 31.

The number of former bases (just the British Isles list) is 759, so to make it a challenge you'd have to visit a lot of them. To put that in perspective the number of Travel Scrabble locations that scored me points was 270, and a lot of those were taken 'on the fly' as I rode past the sign. It won't be as quick and easy to capture former airfield locations to film.

It's got to be a challenge, but also achievable for anyone who can commit the time to take part. So how many locations is a challenge? 100? 200? 300? ...
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

This could also be a problem, for example RAF Gravesend is now an housing estate :blink:

"Cascades" Leisure Centre in Thong Lane has a plaque dedicated to the airmen of World War II who served at Gravesend Airport.

But that is it!

You would have to read wikii to find out if there is anything left of the RAF Station and anyway of getting proof that you were there, might be difficult.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

sexysi

Post by sexysi »

I do like the byways idea, as there are a quite a few that are sign posted. And it will get people out actually looking for new ones, You don't have to go off road as they always seem to start from Tarmac anyway.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

sexysi

Post by sexysi »

beddowsm wrote:
Sprockette wrote:Maybe something based on trails or byways etc?
Would be good, but how to measure success? Maybe total distance travelled on different trails?

Would get a lot involved and could end up mapping a lot of different trails throughout the UK, submit the start and end of each trail (maybe along with a description as well). Could end up being a good repository of trails to supplement the mag green lanes?

But how to confirm that no one is cheating could be an issue, as trails are not signposted (name wise) so photos could be a waste of time.
GPS Location taken off a sat nav or Smartphone app???

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

Return to “ABR Challenge 2013”