If It Ain't A Harley...

Bikers and riding
Dazzer

Re: If It Ain't A Harley...

Post by Dazzer »

badsanta wrote:
utaka wrote:You have to remember, 'Copying is the highest form of flattery' How many plastic Japanese cruisers just had to be 'V'Twins, and how many of their owners tried to change the silencers to try and imitate the Harley sound? :laugh:
Soichiro Honda said "Imitate no-one" and Honda never did. Harley-Davidson had to copy Honda engineering expertise or go out of business.

Harley Davidson supplied all the machine and tooling for one of the first motorcycle manufacturing companies in Japan. In the early 1930s Rikuo operated under the license and name of Harley Davidson, using their tooling, and later under the name Rikuo until 1958.Many of the staff then working for Honda .

So thanks to Harley Davidson many of us are now riding 1st class Japanese bike's as well as Classic Harley Davidson's (thumbs)
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

moto al wrote:What about . An ingin, iconic well built by Polaris .a very, very rich company.? Time will tell.eh.al
image_2013-12-20-2.jpg

Look's like they have just raided my wardrobe :kiss:
moto al

Post by moto al »

I dazzler, you maybe correct ,re u,s,of a .they were the masters of Nippon then.and shit scared the bad red men would take over the world? In history you lose .one boss. Then same as the old boss. . Pete,Townsend .of the who,wise words. Who's next. Al ;) ;)
moto al
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

AndyB wrote:I'll always choose to use a bike rather than a car if I can. Cars are just functional things that take you to work or to the nearest supermarket but as far as I'm concerned they're dull and no matter what the badge stuck on the front they don't have any appeal.

As for being transport for the poor; that'd be why I keep hearing people tell me they wish they could afford a motorbike.
What people might mean maybe is that they can't afford a motorcycle and a car. The people I was talking about are those who can only barely afford a motorcycle. A real motorcyle,that has to do everything, and not a toy like most of us custom criusin', adventure, sportbike riders. Very few of the super rich ride motorcycles every day in all weathers.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

badsanta wrote:
AndyB wrote:I'll always choose to use a bike rather than a car if I can. Cars are just functional things that take you to work or to the nearest supermarket but as far as I'm concerned they're dull and no matter what the badge stuck on the front they don't have any appeal.

As for being transport for the poor; that'd be why I keep hearing people tell me they wish they could afford a motorbike.
What people mean maybe is that they can't afford a motorcycle and a car. The people I was talking about are those who can only afford a motorcycle. A real motorcyle, and not a toy like most of us lucky enough to
No, these are young lads who want a motorbike but can't afford one so get a car. Insurance is the killer along with the fact that they'd be using it to get to work so don't want a £500 pile of problems.

It's not cheap to start out on a bike at 17 then work your way up to something you could confidently use to go away to Europe with your mates.
bull

Post by bull »

Mike101 wrote:A former neighbour of mine imported Corvettes, which were like this, Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks are like this, Harleys are like this and I'm told that even Cessna light aircraft are like this.

I can confirm this about all american built light aircraft. The engines are still based on the VW 4,6 or 8 cylinder boxer design....using push rods. Nothing has changed really since the 1950's. The addition of turbos got more power but this only works for larger weight machines such as 6 seaters.

If you walk aroudn any airfield and loko at 95% of the kit fyling you will see that it is US made and of very very old technology. There are 1 or 2 exceptions but not many.

However if you look at modern european aircraft you will see brand new designed engines that use half the fuel of the old type, are so much more reliable and deliver many more times the power for their weight.

Let me give you and example.

A Cessena 152 built in say 1980 will hvae a 100HP lycoming 5ltr engine in it. This will use up to 30ltrs and hour of avgas...very expensive.

A modern AT4 built in the past 5 years will have a rotax 912 100hp engine in it. This will use 15lts of petrol an hour.

So the point here is that in the US they have a proven record of sticking to what works rather than changing with modern technology. Also the US market seems not to desire such new technical advances like we in europe do.

Mike

mike, I don't get what you saying, so I don't

do you know, that the robinson R22 and R44 are probably the most used helicopters in England and the rest of Europe, their built in America and use a Lycoming engine, almost the very same Lycoming engine that was used in 1950s bell 47 helicopter that was used and proven in the Korean war,

its also used in the most proven light aircrafts in the world today, like the Cessna 172, 182, you see them flying out of most airports in the world and in every airport in Europe, and they are also one of the best know training aircraft in the world

also the R22 and the schweizer 300 helicopters are among the best training helicopters in the world, so they are, and the swhweizer 300 uses the old reliable Lycoming engine also.

if it works, why change anything,

I tell you this, I would rather fly over mountains in an old Cessna 152 with its tested and proven lycoming engine, than with some aircraft thats an unproven modern technical advanced piece of sh*t, so I would.

edit

also, all the aircraft mentioned above are made in America, and are among the most successful aircraft in the world
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

Remember that a Cessna 152 was once an unproven modern technical piece of sh*t.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

So was the wheel!
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Tourider wrote:So was the wheel!
But which came first ? Harley Davidson or the wheel ? :lol:
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

AndyB wrote:
badsanta wrote:

What people mean maybe is that they can't afford a motorcycle and a car. The people I was talking about are those who can only afford a motorcycle. A real motorcyle, and not a toy like most of us lucky enough to
No, these are young lads who want a motorbike but can't afford one so get a car. Insurance is the killer along with the fact that they'd be using it to get to work so don't want a £500 pile of problems.

It's not cheap to start out on a bike at 17 then work your way up to something you could confidently use to go away to Europe with your mates.
You're talking about people who can afford a car so they get one instead of a motorcycle. It is cheap to start on a real motorcycle. I'm talking about people whose only choice is a real motorcyle and even a small car is for the seriously rich. The idea of going away to Europe with your mates would be unimaginable. Your "£500" would be the average annual income for the vast majority of the world's labour force and a lot lower for most. The point is we don't know how lucky we are to afford our toys. That is what I mean by motorcycles are for the poor.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”