Two more "bought the farm"

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Two more "bought the farm"

Post by Redmurty »

Just heard two more mates have "bought the farm" one at 54 years of age the other 64. Both had completed 30 plus years of government service and got very little use out of their pensions, so the lesson of the day "don't put off till tomorrow, what you can do today" live your life and enjoy it.

I am rapidly running out of mates, not that I had many in the first place, so if we meet on the road at some point don't get over friendly as the "grimm reaper" may just be watching :pinch:

Total this year 5 to date :(

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
utaka

Re: Two more "buy the farm"

Post by utaka »

Never heard that expression used.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Seize the moment is my motto these days, I lost a lot of years living a life I didn't want. Now I do it all. This year I've ticked more things off my bucket list than I did in the last 12.

The Grimm Reaper can kiss my ass, if we meet on the road I'll buy you a beer and toast our fallen comrads :cheer:
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
bull

Post by bull »

well Red, that's the way things go as we get older, and it be our turn one day to buy the farm, so it will :P

just keep going until the engine stops, noting else we can do (thumbs)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

utaka wrote:Never heard that expression used.
I think it was a popular thing with American cops and soldiers, who would often dream of retiring to the country.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Brenhden wrote:
utaka wrote:Never heard that expression used.
I think it was a popular thing with American cops and soldiers, who would often dream of retiring to the country.
From Wiktionary:

"US slang, from the WWII era (first printed record in the US Air Force in the 1950's). Similar expressions like buy the plot and buy the lot also existed, although buy the farm is the only one to have survived. Probably related to older British slang buy it, buy one or buy the packet, both seemingly ironic references to something that one does not want to buy. May come from the common reflection that servicemen would often dream of saving up to go home and buying a farm to settle on after the war or their deployment is up, but the deceased receive a small plot of land (the grave) automatically. Alternatively, folk etymology holds that the insurance payout to the soldier's beneficiaries and/or the military pension provided to the bereaved dependents may have, ironically, fulfilled his old dream, and allowed his surviving family to pay off all loans on the family farm, or let them purchase one. This, however, can only explain farm; meanwhile, plot and lot are clearly bitter sarcasm about finally ending up with a piece of land all one's own - the grave spot allotted to the deceased."
A β€’ AND β€’ B β€’ CDN β€’ CH β€’ CN β€’ CY β€’ CYM β€’ CZ β€’ D β€’ DK β€’ E β€’ EST β€’ ET β€’ F β€’ FIN β€’ GR β€’ HK β€’ HR β€’ I β€’ IL β€’ IRL β€’ L β€’ LT β€’ LV β€’ M β€’ N β€’ N-IRL β€’ NL β€’ P β€’ PL β€’ Q β€’ RSM β€’ S β€’ SCO β€’ SCV β€’ SLO β€’ TR β€’ USA β€’ YU
justrtw.com
Paul_XRV750

Post by Paul_XRV750 »

Never heard that one before either :blink:
bull

Post by bull »

well, its been around as long as I can remember, so it has,

if watch some old war movies, its used alot
Redmurty

Re: Two more "bought the farm"

Post by Redmurty »

Yes sorry I should have put "bought the farm"

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
lancashirelad

Re: Two more "bought the farm"

Post by lancashirelad »

A couple of years ago aged 58 & with 37yrs Local Govt service I was offered early retirement after due consideration I took it thinking that I'd look for a part-time job which has never materialised I'm glad I took it but it is a big step to be honest. I worked with a guy who took early retirement on the Friday with hopes of cruising the canals on a narrowboat unfortunately he died on the Mon 3 days retirement he had.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to β€œTHE PUB”