What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jacqueslemac

Re: What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Post by Jacqueslemac »

I look for a bike that makes me feel like I could ride off round Europe for a few months without a second thought.

My Tiger could do it easily, but my Africa Twin has more of the emotional tug - it makes me smile more when I see it and when I ride it.

Let's be honest - for most of us, whatever logic we use to try to justify our decision, we buy a bike because of how it makes us feel.
sandi

Post by sandi »

I think we all have our ideas about which bike is best .Mine is my V Strom.Had a really good day today.The hospital I work at is 35 miles away so I got to ride 70 miles in nice weather.This evening on the way home it was one of those times hardly any traffic(I dont exceed the limit)the sun was shining the bike just felt right the curves just fell into place and my wife had bought me a bottle of beer when I got home:)And tomorrows a day off,just can'nt get any better.Apart from in just over a weeks time going on holiday to europe(across the channel)
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Paul Neate wrote:The 800GS is remarkably capable of handling some really rough terrain -- some of the tracks, hill climbs and descents they had us doing down in Wales were fearsome. But, oddly, everyone who tried the 1200s found them easier to ride over the rough stuff -- lower first gear, less twitchy throttle, lower centre of gravity. Me, I'll stick with the 800. It ticks all the boxes for me.
Hi everyone - my first post here, so please be gentle!

Firstly, I would agree with what you say about the F800GS throttle action, Paul, which I discovered on the BMW Off-road skills course made the bike the more difficult to ride in some circumstances than the R1200GS. I really liked the F800GS but it looks like the Tiger 800XC has pipped it, at least with regards to the engine.

Secondly, and back on topic, I look for the following in my 'Main' adventure bike
1. Reliability & spares availability
2. Comfort 2-up
3. Tank range/economy
4. Grin factor
5. Easy owner-servicing
6. Off-road ability (very subjective, that one!)
7. Luggage
These requirements seem to develop with age and the order varies depending on the trip!

River.JPG
River.JPG (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
I've had this baby from new, which ticks all the boxes for me but for more challenging off-roading, I have a lovely little Suzuki VanVan called Rambo. Having tried my mate's bikes (DL1000, GSA1200, TransAlp, AT etc) I still come back to the Tiger - I think it's that super-smooth engine and 'old friend' status. I have also had my eye on the Tiger 800XC as I'm doing less 2-up these days (missus is riding too) but my biggest challenge now is to ignore the existance of the Stelvio. There is so much choice out there!

Col du Portalet_62.JPG
Col du Portalet_62.JPG (40.94 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Jon
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Well here's a thing, I didn't know I had an 'Adventure Bike' until someone (in marketing?) coined the phrase, when I bought my GS ten years ago, it was described as a 'Large Trailie':blink:
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

jonny955 wrote:
Paul Neate wrote: I look for the following in my 'Main' adventure bike
2. Comfort 2-up
3. Tank range/economy
4. Grin factor
5. Easy owner-servicing
7. Luggage
Sums up my R100GS nicely
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Sleepy wrote:Well here's a thing, I didn't know I had an 'Adventure Bike' until someone (in marketing?) coined the phrase, when I bought my GS ten years ago, it was described as a 'Large Trailie':blink:
I've had mine for 20 years and the adventure bit only happened about 6-7 years ago - amazing how it's caught on!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

jonny955 wrote:
Paul Neate wrote:The 800GS is remarkably capable of handling some really rough terrain -- some of the tracks, hill climbs and descents they had us doing down in Wales were fearsome. But, oddly, everyone who tried the 1200s found them easier to ride over the rough stuff -- lower first gear, less twitchy throttle, lower centre of gravity. Me, I'll stick with the 800. It ticks all the boxes for me.
Hi everyone - my first post here, so please be gentle!

Firstly, I would agree with what you say about the F800GS throttle action, Paul, which I discovered on the BMW Off-road skills course made the bike the more difficult to ride in some circumstances than the R1200GS. I really liked the F800GS but it looks like the Tiger 800XC has pipped it, at least with regards to the engine.

Secondly, and back on topic, I look for the following in my 'Main' adventure bike
2. Comfort 2-up
3. Tank range/economy
4. Grin factor
5. Easy owner-servicing
7. Luggage
These requirements seem to develop with age and the order varies depending on the trip!

River.JPG
I've had this baby from new, which ticks all the boxes for me but for more challenging off-roading, I have a lovely little Suzuki VanVan called Rambo. Having tried my mate's bikes (DL1000, GSA1200, TransAlp, AT etc) I still come back to the Tiger - I think it's that super-smooth engine and 'old friend' status. I have also had my eye on the Tiger 800XC as I'm doing less 2-up these days (missus is riding too) but my biggest challenge now is to ignore the existance of the Stelvio. There is so much choice out there!

Col du Portalet_62.JPG
Jon
Plus the Blue ones are fastest ;) cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”