Jetboil Stoves, should I shouldn't I ?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
jaz1259

Re: Jetboil Stoves, should I shouldn't I ?

Post by jaz1259 »

Im not convinced by the jet boil I agree with the comment above it seems expensive for something which just boils water. Agreed it does that very well but if you need another cooker for other cooking then it defeats the objective and you might as well have a cooker which which does all aspects well but brilliant at none.
I think ill stick with my coleman multi fuel
earthman

Post by earthman »

I'd say that it all depends on how much and what type of 'cooking' you want to do.

I have used a fair few stoves over the years, like most have said, Jet Boil is great for brews, I boil eggs in mine, handy for hot water for a boil in the bag meal too.

If I'm planing on doing more cooking and going to more remote places then I'll take a pump up multi fuel stove type, if there's fuel in the bike then I can always run my stove. :)
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

but uses 1 gram of fuel more which could be significant on the trail. (quote wrote:
1g doesn't sound very significant.

Is it expensive? If you are riding around on a 13k motorbike it seems pretty cheap. If you are living on $5 a day wild camping it seems pretty expensive. If you are somewhere in between you might want one you might not. I bought one recently and quite like it for having a hot drink at the end of a day when cycle touring but it certainly isnt essential.

I think if you want to travel light: a) eat cold food b)drink hot drinks in cafes or truck stops etc.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Simply.... Yes you should.

They are lightweight, easy to use, very reliable, the fuel can be sourced from most places and as they are so efficient, the fuel you have will last. Boils water super fast, you can get a pan for bacon in the morning so what is not to like!?
They are pretty expensive,but I've had mine for 4 years and it's never missed a beat.
So if you're staying the the UK and/or Europe, you shouldn't really look elsewhere.
If you're going continental and out into the bush, then get a multi fuel stove.
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Selous

Post by Selous »

Well like a few on here I have the coleman featherlight multi fuel, like a earlier post I had one in the Army, used it everywhere, great bit of kit took a pounding in places in the back of a APC laster years mine di till some robbing so & so borrowed it :evil:
I would of still had it now still.
So I went out brought a new one for when im away, we had a power cut whole st out all night & morning, some navie cut something in a hole????

so had to use my colemann

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

I've read this whole thread with interest, I've considered a JetBoil, but something always holds me back.

I have a 1l army-type waterbottle, with the metal cup and a small hex burner - perfect for a brew, even heating up a tim of beans/soup at a push.

I have a MSR multi-fuel burner, it's indestructible, boils anything in minutes, it's possible to cook on it (with a bit of care) and the fuel can doubles up as a spare petrol can (OK it's only 3/4 litre but it's better than nothing). BIG downside is it's loud, too loud for a campsite really.

Trangia - I'm really impressed with this, cooks well, work anywhere, ideally Meths but at a push you can use petrol (it's messy). It's very relaxing to use and for me it just makes a journey a little more about the place (not the speed). Oh, and it has a great little kettle!

So the question for me is, do I need a Jetboil, or is it just more stuff to choose from ?

Keep the comments coming, I may well side with the yes camp!
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I suppose it depends on how much gear you can or want to carry.

From a personal point of view I don't see the point in carrying two 'stoves' whoever they are made by.

I use the old petrol Coleman for cooking, and I have a petrol lantern as well. Heat, light, food, - all powered by a single fuel readily available in my petrol tank.

Just a thought.

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

I'm in a similar camp. I have a stove... It boils... It cooks... It fits in my bag. Jetboil does it quicker but I'm never in that much of a rush.

That said, I do like the idea of them... But I don't know why. I think if i were in the market for a new stove I'd be seriously considering dual fuel rather than one of these.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I use a Karrimor Explore Camping Stove, 3kw, for everything. I forget what brand canister it is I use but the flame is totally controllable and you can turn it right down for cooking food. I've never timed a litre of water to the boil but it's quick, only a few minutes. The stove retails at £9.99, I paid a fiver in the sale at sport direct.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
yodagoat

Post by yodagoat »

Mike 54 has pretty much summed it up. Great for boiling water or cooking things boil in the bag stylee. My mate Brian has one as does my Dad, jetboils are good things. I still can't see past my stainless Swedish Army Trangia for cooking, its the bollocks. I sold my petrol Coleman 533 once I got it. The Trangia takes up no room compared to a stove, pots and pans, and like the jetboil it pack inside its self. It takes a while to boil water though, but I'm never in a rush.
The shite I write, www.WintonMassif.co.uk

Guided tours in Scotland www.passingplacestours.com

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”