Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Rob 110

Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Post by Rob 110 »

Just wondering generally.

Do you ride a round or 2? why?
Are you nervous, don't want to bend your bike?
Money?
Prefer non-competitive riding?
Dunno anything about it?
Don't want to buy knobblies?
Only like greenlaning?

Any comments welcome :)
if you are interested check here:
http://rallymoto.co.uk/forum.php
http://www.bigbikerallychallenge.co.uk/
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
gebrauchtwagen83

Re: Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

I want to and hope to soon but havent got a bike to do it at the moment.
Barnman

Re: Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Post by Barnman »

dancanovas wrote:I want to and hope to soon but havent got a bike to do it at the moment.
Don't be so sure. I did a couple of rallys on my Dakar and really enjoyed it.

Sure its harder work because its heavy, and don't imagine it will be race winning competitive but it will get around all the rallys I have done.

This photo was taken at the Kielder for example

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Barnman wrote:
dancanovas wrote:I want to and hope to soon but havent got a bike to do it at the moment.
Don't be so sure. I did a couple of rallys on my Dakar and really enjoyed it.

Sure its harder work because its heavy, and don't imagine it will be race winning competitive but it will get around all the rallys I have done.

This photo was taken at the Kielder for example

Nice view B)
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

There still seems to be a perception that you have to be Cyril Despres to do it, which you don't. As Barnman said, the terrain is all doable on a bigger bike without being an amazing rider. Would a 1200GS be suitable? no not really, but many other bigger bikes are. At the last one there were some Tiger 800 XCs, Cagiva Elefants, transalp etc. More fun can be had on a x challenge, a 690, 630, and smaller, but as barnman said, he did some on his dakar and did fine (better than fine in fact B) ) . But there are plenty of people on 990's etc who have a ball

A set of knobblies and HD tubes and wanting to have a laugh is all you really need.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Only done the Hafren. A friend talked me into it way back when I first started racing. Done it every year now without fail and I bring a whole group with me - up to nine riders and I think it'll be bigger next year.
Always done well at it and each year I've finished higher up the results. This year it went VERY well for me as I won the 2t rally light class (under 250cc) and my times were quicker than the open 2t class too so that made me quickest two stroke on the day. Would have finished behind my mate in the large 4t enduro class too (8th I think) and that was with a jammed powervalve and worn out piston/rings - so bad the bike just stopped a week later.

Read about it in my report: http://www.redbikejohn.com/Hafren%20Rally%202013.htm

It is a great day out. Nice trails and good fun. Come join in the fun!
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
herman

Post by herman »

Yup I do the odd round on whatever the mood takes, blast round on a KTM or pootle round on an XTR it makes no odds the result is the same for me. A huge big silly grin from start to finish. Photo credit to Ty: Image The folks are the friendliest in racing I have found. If you have a problem then you dont have to wait long before an offer of help arrives even if its just a push out of a rut.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Good point - it's not like enduro where no one stops to help if you have a problem. It's the friendliest event atmosphere I've ever been to.
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

would absolutely bloody love to.......maybe one day ;) ;)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Nothing like your first rally, I did the Kielder this year. It was great just to finish all 4 laps. Didn't get chance to do any others but I will make time next year to do it again and probably the Cambrian.
If you want help and guidance hook up with the lads at Adventure bike warehouse.

Return to “THE PUB”