Little help buying a bike please

The Things We Ride
Lancastermick

Re: Little help buying a bike please

Post by Lancastermick »

Well Bryn, having just part-exchanged mine for a 1200. I can tell that I have absolutely no regrets about buying it in the first place. Superb bike, very agile in traffic and off-road.
Fun on the road and forgiving in the corners. Great mpg. Tough as old boots (and I really used it!). Light enough to pick up, but heavy enough to sit solidly.

I rode it all-around this island in all weathers with all my camping gear on the back and it never missed a beat! ;)

Can't recommend it enough as a first adventure bike. Find the seventy five quid. Follow Scouse's excellent fault finding list and then, if all's well, go for it! :)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

C'mon Mick, don't hold back on the pictures :)
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Lancastermick wrote:Well Bryn, having just part-exchanged mine for a 1200. I can tell that I have absolutely no regrets about buying it in the first place. Superb bike, very agile in traffic and off-road.
Fun on the road and forgiving in the corners. Great mpg. Tough as old boots (and I really used it!). Light enough to pick up, but heavy enough to sit solidly.

I rode it all-around this island in all weathers with all my camping gear on the back and it never missed a beat! ;)

Can't recommend it enough as a first adventure bike. Find the seventy five quid. Follow Scouse's excellent fault finding list and then, if all's well, go for it! :)
Cheers Lancastermick, let's hope I can find the money! ;)
Alun

Post by Alun »

Bryn wrote:
Were you talking to me there Byrn?

You've had some fantastic advice on this thread, a bit of negotiating practice in the morning, and maybe it's time to call the old boy again.
dmitrij

Post by dmitrij »

The f650 was my first bike as well. got the 1997 f650 with 20k on the clock for 1200£in 2006 from an old man in Newcastle. Went up from London to collect it, could not understand what the old man was on about, the accent was too much. The bike was great though. I am sure when you come to sell it in a couple of years it wont lose much value
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Go to view it tomorrow with the cash you have, and offer him a free subscription to the mag on top. ;) That will swing it mate. B)
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

I had a Funduro travelled alot on it in all weathers and it never missed a beat. I put a pair pair of Givi E21 cases on it and did 1000's of miles and never regret buying it. Simple to repair if needed and great mpg plus goes nearly anywhere.
The price is at the top he is asking for but it depends on if you want it of course and how good it is in the metal.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bryn wrote:
Lancastermick wrote:Well Bryn, having just part-exchanged mine for a 1200. I can tell that I have absolutely no regrets about buying it in the first place. Superb bike, very agile in traffic and off-road.

Yeah Bry it may cost Mick his nuts yet ;-) cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Take cash if you can be prepared to walk away, a bundle of notes can change someones mind quicker than a cheque. Go for a test ride if you can or get someone else to ride it if you can't. Pick faults if you find them, like "it will need new tyres soon thats going to cost I'm on a tight budget ect" good luck have fun cheers Spud ;-)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Jinna

Post by Jinna »

just to put another perspective on this, the chap is in no rush to sell as the bike is in his garage and has not been used for a while so he may well hold out for his 1250, the way second hand bike prices are going it's only going to increase in value.
I know you say 1175 is all you can raise bryn, but is it really worth missing out on a very good condition looked after bike(going on the photos) for the sake of 75 quid? You will kick yourself if somebody beats you to it, you could ride this bike for a couple of years and probably get a grand when you sell it so that will be 2 years biking for 250? a bargain in my book? and think of all the smiles per mile.

Return to “BIKES”