Tobacco tin survival dude.

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
herman

Re: Tobacco tin survival dude.

Post by herman »

Intersting thread, I enjoyed it on the basis it reminded me of what I used to carry when touring and camping on a bike and hiking/hill walking before I got all soft and domesticated. The only thing I now carry,even on the enduro bike is a survival blanket. I still have the tin ,mess tins,stove,etc but now the mobile and credit card are my saftey net to be honest with myself. :blush: The article was maybe a bit left of centre for a bike mag but I would'nt class ABR as purely a bike mag,which is why I buy it and none of the competition any more. Carry on Alun please do. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
barnhatter

Post by barnhatter »

Okay I am not likely to kill and skin a rabbit, or catch a fish to eat but reports like this are thought provoking on what I should, or could, be taking in a small tin.
I use to go scuba diving and had a "tin" of things that would be of use and I would throw it in my kit bag every trip. Soomething that might be worth thinking about.
Jinna

Post by Jinna »

Well i found it interesting, better than the usual bike mag drivel of 'how to get yer knee down, do a stoppie, perform a wheelie, how to oil yer chain'. But i am a fan of the god that is Ray Mears ;)
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

OK I ride a older GS and can only dream of the Big trip, and am realistic enough to realise that the biggest I'll do is Europe. That said, a survival kit article (as the mag does generally)serves to feed the open and curious mind. You can take and adapt what you want, even if the resultant kit only comprises a spare credit card, 20 euro note and a few ties, ducktape, fuses, multitool and turbo flame lighter. It'll give you a little extra peace of mind imho if you want it. I'm also in awe of Mr Mears' skills, but have only borrowed his tarp use as an extra shelter, and always carry my army bivi bag in a pannier. Keep the variety in the mag, and perhaps throw in a couple of related technical articles-I have had some first class advise on the forums, there are some very learned and experienced riders out there.
itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

turbo flame lighter

now that is a piece of kit that everyone should carry.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

As a youngster in the late 60's I had a pair of "Clarks Trackers" shoes with animal tracks as the sole and a hidden compass in the heel.

When I joined up I had a simiar "Survival Tin" as per the artical with a button compass in my capbadge, and a secreted silk escape map in the wateband on my combats...

When I tour I also have a "Bike Survival tin" except it isn't really a tin at all more just bits I secret about myself and bike, in order to survive any ordeals of the modern tour...

ie I put a visa card inside the hip armour of my trousers (Leather/Textile whichever)and a 200€ note in the other side. I carry the usual Petrol Syphon for those dry fuel experiences, Spare fuses, cable repair kit, Leatherman allinonetool, Imodium, Piriton, pain killers, cable ties and assortment of nuts and bolts and some Kendel Mint Cake. I even have a "Spoof Wallet" you know: expired cards low denomination notes, 1 or 2 loyalty cards and so forth just incase I get mugged...

So for me the artical was in the right mag persay and made familiar reading for me but I am sure for the average "Adventure Rider" it was new ground, but no more different than "Which is the best" cooker or tent, Whilst the "survival tin" may be a tad extreem it does provoke thought on what you might carry as a minimum for your specific ride/adventure/tour... in this era of panniers, top box, roll bag and other lugage accesories available on the market, which encourages over packing...
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Nomad wrote:As a youngster in the late 60's I had a pair of "Clarks Trackers" shoes with animal tracks as the sole and a hidden compass in the heel.

When I joined up I had a simiar "Survival Tin" as per the artical with a button compass in my capbadge, and a secreted silk escape map in the wateband on my combats...

When I tour I also have a "Bike Survival tin" except it isn't really a tin at all more just bits I secret about myself and bike, in order to survive any ordeals of the modern tour...

ie I put a visa card inside the hip armour of my trousers (Leather/Textile whichever)and a 200€ note in the other side. I carry the usual Petrol Syphon for those dry fuel experiences, Spare fuses, cable repair kit, Leatherman allinonetool, Imodium, Piriton, pain killers, cable ties and assortment of nuts and bolts and some Kendel Mint Cake. I even have a "Spoof Wallet" you know: expired cards low denomination notes, 1 or 2 loyalty cards and so forth just incase I get mugged...

So for me the artical was in the right mag persay and made familiar reading for me but I am sure for the average "Adventure Rider" it was new ground, but no more different than "Which is the best" cooker or tent, Whilst the "survival tin" may be a tad extreem it does provoke thought on what you might carry as a minimum for your specific ride/adventure/tour... in this era of panniers, top box, roll bag and other lugage accesories available on the market, which encourages over packing...
God that brings back some happy memories, great sturdy shoes only let down by the sinking compass which used to hurt your heal :lol:
Do you know how many wild bears and wolves I tracked in the parks of west London? :lol: :lol:
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

As the magazine is about adventure travel on motorcycles I don't believe that the article was out of place. For the travelling that I do the advice was OTT, but like most people on here I do aspire to The Big Trip and as that would take me into the wilds I think it's appropriate.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

I'm a failed boy scout so a little tin packed with things I'd never use but dream of using was brill.

I have a wee baccy tin filled with fishing line and hooks and bits. Tie it to a stick when camping (with permits and ... OBVIOUSLY !!!) and pikes your puppy.
Er, I don't actually do that at campsites where there's no water in case you wonderin' if I was a bit mad - some bloke in the middle of a field ...

The article fitted right in for me, if a little off topic it was close enough for me to be interested and to read it.
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

adventure bikers hmmm! i thought it was wholly appropiate.
while i rarely set off to go wild camping without any food,
i first got into simple wild camping camping through open canoeing
and ive now tranfered that to my bike camping.
cooking on fire box or open fire if suitable area.
im no angler but ive even managed to catch a few trout with just
some string and a hook with a worm on it tied to a stick.
i know its not for everyone but you should all try the simple wild camping life
at least once.
hotels are now way down on my list of places to stay when away on the bike.

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”