yamaha ttr600e

The Things We Ride
Willy_Eckerslike

Re: yamaha ttr600e

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Great bikes, the only disadvantage, or advantage depending on your point of view, is that aftermarket parts are very few and far between. You can get the Acerbis tank, if you can find one, for £300ish. It comes with a rudimentary bash plate, I never bothered replacing mine as it did a good enough job.
It doesn't share any parts with the xt but is a very similar bike. Apart from it not holding it's oil in the frame I can't think of any major differences. There's nothing specific to watch out for if you're looking at one. Being a big single it benefits from regular oil changes, the fork seals need protection but that's about it. They're like the xt really, nothing outstanding, just a good, basic bike that you can just ride and not have to worry about any niggling faults.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Wilso122 wrote:Resurrecting this rather than start a new thread.

Thinking about buying one as Im not sure I want to take the 950SE to Morroco as its low milage and frankly a bike I want to own for a very long time.

So I got to thinking about a cheap reliable hack to take and the TTR600E is coming top of the list having once owned the xt600e, which is a brilliant bike. Im trying to find the differences anyone know?

Anyone got top tips of what to look out for, where I can get a large tank without spending hundreds and a bash plate? Other than that it will be a service and goooo....

Cheers
If you fancy a trip to Warwickshire you're welcome to try mine out.
I live on a farm so plenty to play on.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

GUNDOG wrote:I have one (possibly) for sale if you're interested.. :)
what model/year and how much??
GUNDOG

Post by GUNDOG »

Kinioo wrote:
GUNDOG wrote:I have one (possibly) for sale if you're interested.. :)
what model/year and how much??
pm sent
Treat every situation like a dog..

If you can't hump it or eat it, piss on it and walk away.
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

Treadtrader wrote: If you fancy a trip to Warwickshire you're welcome to try mine out.
I live on a farm so plenty to play on.
Thats really good of you thanks for that. More than anyhting I am trying to figure out what has more power the ttr or the XT as looking at a couple now and they are the same price / milage / age.

Im just playing with thoughts right now and still might take the SE but something smaller, lighter and less desirable / stand-out-ish is having great appeal.

Thanks for the replies, they are a good slid bike and for 1-2k you can get a hell of a good bike for that!
950SuperEnduro.com the site for SuperEnduro owners.
kito

Post by kito »

The tt has a bigger carb than the xt and produces less electrical power out put. Giving the tt an extra pony or 2 . Google David Lambeth . He is THE MAN when it comes to these bikes
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

Google David Lambeth . He is THE MAN when it comes to these bikes
Oh yeah didn't he used to be in Kent just of the M20??? or am I thinking of someone else?
Horizonti

Post by Horizonti »

TT600RE041112002.jpg
TT600RE041112002.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
TT600RE041112013.jpg
TT600RE041112013.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Here is my TT600RE 'project bike', had it for a few years now but little used shamefully. It was bought new in 2005 by a good friend who clocked up just 1200 km trail riding, then after dropping it, parked it in his garage and forgot it for a few years. I started pestering him to sell it to me having sold my last trail bike some time back, he being a 'very good mate' gave it to me!
It needed a few bits to sort it, the plastics were tatty but new ones from my local Yamaha dealer were not very expensive. One foot rest was damaged so I treated it to a set of shiny bling Pivot Pegs(very expensive from Australia). The speedo was broken so I replaced it with a Trail Tech Vapour unit which was cheaper than a standard speedo. Lots of features which I shall never use and I still struggle to find the trip reading for fuel range!
Renthal bars and some nice hand guards set it off and I almost wish I has stopped there but the lure of ebay found me sourcing an Acerbis 20l tank, a metal mule rack and pannier frame and then some Metal Mule panniers.
I have test ridden it on the local roads and it is a joy to ride pottering along happily at 50ish. I'm dreaming of riding it to Morroco and 'doing some dunes' but I have yet to get it muddy on Salisbury Plain which is on my doorstep. Shame on me! :blush:
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

Nice one Horizonto!

Well the bike I was looking at went for a total steal in the end, 1300quid!! bargain!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231038627270? ... 1438.l2649

Alas my garage roof decided to implode on Saturday night so back to square one, luckily no bikes were damaged or I would have cried a bit more...
Horizonti

Post by Horizonti »

TT600Finished021109008.jpg
TT600Finished021109008.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 2396 times

I'm still on a very steep learning curve with the TT, though I've mastered buying bits off ebay for it OK! I now need to learn more about the workings of the thing. Interesting note by kito regarding the smaller electrical power output of the TT, anyone know what extra accessories it can handle? I have fitted heated grips but they struggle to get warm, they are made by Bike-it so only cheapish I'm not sure if they are just c**p or they aren't getting enough power. I have bought some Symtec grips to replace them with but if the power isn't there I would be wasting my time. Any suggestions (other than thicker gloves!).

Return to “BIKES”