Bodywork Advice Needed Please

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bunker

Bodywork Advice Needed Please

Post by bunker »

I've bought a second hand petrol tank off evilbay for the Zed, really can't complain 'cos it was only £12. Anyway it has a dent in it - i new that when i bought it though - about the size of the palm of my hand. Can anyone give me any suggestions about pulling it out?

i don't really fancy filling it in but i've never tried pulling dents out before....help a brother out please!

:)

PS the dent is at the back where the tank pad would be
Triumph Tiger 885
scouse

Re: Bodywork Advice Needed Please

Post by scouse »

bunker wrote:I've bought a second hand petrol tank off evilbay for the Zed, really can't complain 'cos it was only £12. Anyway it has a dent in it - i new that when i bought it though - about the size of the palm of my hand. Can anyone give me any suggestions about pulling it out?

i don't really fancy filling it in but i've never tried pulling dents out before....help a brother out please!

:)

PS the dent is at the back where the tank pad would be
Depends on the dent and how rusty but a usual way is to block all taps etc. and blow it out with compressed air. Without seeing it can't advise further... have a couple of mates with experience in this sort of thing but hard to ask without seeing the problem.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

What ever you do if you want it 100% it will have to be filled and then painted
It's what I do for a living all be it on cars same old shit for me been doing it for 25 years
herman

Post by herman »

It takes some bottle but a self tapper,a block of wood and a claw hammer will do it. Could go horribly wrong tho,if so, I was never here. :blink:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Its hard to advise without seeing the tank but there are loads of good trick on youtube. ;)
moto al

Post by moto al »

hi give me a bell i know a man in partick, you have my no.cheers al
moto al
bunker

Post by bunker »

jkclive1971 wrote:What ever you do if you want it 100% it will have to be filled and then painted
It's what I do for a living all be it on cars same old shit for me been doing it for 25 years
I think in the long run i probably will get it filled properly (think the Zed might be a keeper) but ATM just happy to get the dent pulled/sorted and get the old girl back on the road

;)
Triumph Tiger 885
bunker

Post by bunker »

herman wrote:It takes some bottle but a self tapper,a block of wood and a claw hammer will do it. Could go horribly wrong tho,if so, I was never here. :blink:
Thanks herman! :lol:

:sick: :sick:
Triumph Tiger 885
bunker

Post by bunker »

moto al wrote:hi give me a bell i know a man in partick, you have my no.cheers al
My mobile was in the kitchen so i missed you last night - i'll give you a bell at lunchtime (better go and do some work now :whistle: )

:laugh:
Triumph Tiger 885
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

I've tried a few (including the self tapper) and tank metal is surprisingly thick and strong.
Without seeing the dent its hard to advise, if its a small one with minimal distortion then push it back out like Craigs vid.

Compressed air IF done carefully can help, in conjunction with an air gauge slowly increase the pressure but listen carefully If you have weak seams they will blow before the dent has come out, you can heat the dent to help.
WARNING I would only use air with a sound tank with no rust

If the dent has any distortion then push out as much as possible then tin the rest.
It will need stripping back to bare metal cleaning with an acid and then tinned.
ie molten tin built up and filed / polished back to an even finish. spray filler, base coat, top coat, lacquer

Or get a pro to help
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Return to “TECHNICAL”