Advanced Riding

Bikers and riding
-Ralph-

Re: Advanced Riding

Post by -Ralph- »

This is also a good online OS maps resource

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps

Create an account, access the maps, click 'login to access 1:25000' on the left, login , zoom right in on the maps, and hey presto you have 1:25000 maps, with access to view a route by inputing a GPX file for your sat nav.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Advanced riding ..... worth doing :)

IAM Test passed today :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Long road B) , but worth it to stay shiny side up :evil:
RICK

Post by RICK »

Earwig wrote:Advanced riding ..... worth doing :)

IAM Test passed today :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Long road B) , but worth it to stay shiny side up :evil:
Well Done.
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

I've booked in for an observed ride in a few weeks before deciding whether to take the IAM Skills for Life course for £139.00.

I thought about taking the Enhanced Rider Scheme with an instructor which is one days training for £160.00.
Has anyone done the ERS and what's the difference?
b1kerb0y

Post by b1kerb0y »

How much can you really learn in one day? I would go with the IAM out of those two choices
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????

KTM 990 Adventure :D
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

ERS is 8 hours instruction done with a professional, IAM/ROSPA is observations carried out over 1 hour per week by a volunteer. Think of it like an intensive DAS course, instead of weekly riding lessons.

You can have as many hours as you wish with the volunteer and you can keep it up over an extended period.

ERS isn't a bad idea if you have 160 quid to throw at it and want to do 8 weeks worth of training in a day, and you want to be sure your getting the right advice (for instance a ROSPA observer once told me how an advanced rider places his gloves and helmet on the floor. I gave him a look and hung it over my mirror same as I have done the last 20 years and asked if he'd like a coffee).

Many people are happy to throw much more than £160 at an off road skills course or a Ron Haslam race school.

Once you've done the ERS though I'd still recommend joining ROSPA and going through your test (which you will be ready to pass very quickly), then at least you can go ride with them as often as you like and redo your test every three years.

Advanced Riding needs to become something you do everytime you ride, not just a course you complete to get a tick in a box, then forget all about it. You wont build the necessary habits you need to achieve that on a one day ERS course, though they do have thier place.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Advanced Riding needs to become something you do everytime you ride, not just a course you complete to get a tick in a box, then forget all about it

Every driver/rider should think this way, but unfortunately they don't

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Redmurty wrote:.....Advanced Riding needs to become something you do everytime you ride, not just a course you complete to get a tick in a box, then forget about it.....
+1 :)
devon john

Post by devon john »

i personally think you would struggle to take everything in in 8hrs.

i am an observer (RoSPA) on taking an associate for the first time most find an hour is more than enough.
it takes time for everything to make sense and work for you.

john
RICK

Post by RICK »

devon john wrote:i personally think you would struggle to take everything in in 8hrs.

i am an observer (RoSPA) on taking an associate for the first time most find an hour is more than enough.
it takes time for everything to make sense and work for you.

john
I agree With John,
Also an observer (RoSPA)
Rick.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”