Piel Trail Ride

minkyhead
Posts: 4044
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 543 times

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by minkyhead » Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 pm

yes
sorry i really meant to say closed as a through route has been for a good while

its a shame :(
trailwise says ...

Route was closed permanently East of SD 30977 92551 on 2 May 2006. The section from High Nibthwhaite to SD 30977 92551 is open.

Please be aware that, in places, the land either side of this route is a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) & any driver leaving the route for any reason could be liable to a fine of £20,000! Please stick to the line of the track


heres a old picture from the darkside ..the easy side for a big bike too dammit B)
anyway sorry for misleading everyone :( but im interested in the big bike rideout B)
...steve

Image

last time i ws there 2007/ 2008 there was a few trees down after hurricane ?? whatsisname

Image
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
beddowsm
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by beddowsm » Fri May 17, 2013 4:50 am

As yet minky there doesn't look to be a lot of interest in a trail ride. Ill still be there for definite and will be riding. Lets see who turns up and if need be we could still split into 2 groups with one being led by mc. Otherwise we could do 1 group and tailor the trails to suit. You know them anyway so a quick scan of the map between us will see us heading on a good route down to barrow. See you there.

beddowsm
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by beddowsm » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 am

Actually, ignore my last post. There's 6 of us which is good now.

Mad Cow
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by Mad Cow » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 am

I think that the confusion on a few forums regarding High Nibthwaite has come about because some people have believed (erroniously) that the trail was still a through route and only recently "discovered" it was a dead end.

Whereas it has of course been a dead end since the NERC act came into force in May 2006.

It still amazes me that people find this information out, don't bother checking the date and go on-line to declare it as something new :whistle:
beddowsm wrote:Forgot about those survey sheets. I do know about them having completed one for the Beach byway....which we will also be doing on either the Saturday (if time) or Sunday.

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/Cont ... 133546.pdf
That did give me a chuckle when I read on the form "Surveyor - M. Beddows" ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally




MY BLOG

Mad Cow
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by Mad Cow » Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Picked up my spare set of wheels this week, so just need to fit the right tyres and I'm all set.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally




MY BLOG

Orlando_Orange
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by Orlando_Orange » Fri May 24, 2013 6:59 am

mike,

not looking 100% for the trail ride now unfortunately. kind of forgot that it's a short week next week which means work is going to be a bit hectic... will need to take a half day on friday in order to get up to the lake district earlier than midnight.. if i can't get half the day off then i'll be coming up saturday morning...to get to the meet time would mean leaving home at about 3 in the morning so will probably not make that either. is there anywhere along your route that i could meet up with you guys (say about 10:30-11:00? if not, then i'll still be coming along to piel so will meet you at the meeting spot for that...

won't really know for definite what my plans until middle of next week...
Chris



G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750

beddowsm
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by beddowsm » Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 am

Orlando_Orange wrote:mike,

not looking 100% for the trail ride now unfortunately. kind of forgot that it's a short week next week which means work is going to be a bit hectic... will need to take a half day on friday in order to get up to the lake district earlier than midnight.. if i can't get half the day off then i'll be coming up saturday morning...to get to the meet time would mean leaving home at about 3 in the morning so will probably not make that either. is there anywhere along your route that i could meet up with you guys (say about 10:30-11:00? if not, then i'll still be coming along to piel so will meet you at the meeting spot for that...

won't really know for definite what my plans until middle of next week...
Will be difficult Orlando. Only planning on trail riding for 5 hours max so may end up having to cut what I have planned a bit short to make it to the crossing point. Infact, if I aim to be at the crossing point for 1300 then that reduces the trail ride to 4.5 hours. All depends on how fast we move (dont want to rush, so will be taking it as a leisurly pace...promise!) as a group to where we end up. I have a rough route, but if we dont complete it all then so be it. Suppose the best option would be to head to the Beach trail. I really want to get this in as the last trail as Ill be taking a few photos etc etc for a future Green Lane article for the mag. Its a good beach trail and takes about 20 mins to get through it. So really want to be at the start of this trail by 12:15. Will know a bit more early next week when I check my maps. Away for the weekend.

Orlando_Orange
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by Orlando_Orange » Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 am

beddowsm wrote:
Will be difficult Orlando. Only planning on trail riding for 5 hours max so may end up having to cut what I have planned a bit short to make it to the crossing point. Infact, if I aim to be at the crossing point for 1300 then that reduces the trail ride to 4.5 hours. All depends on how fast we move (dont want to rush, so will be taking it as a leisurly pace...promise!) as a group to where we end up. I have a rough route, but if we dont complete it all then so be it. Suppose the best option would be to head to the Beach trail. I really want to get this in as the last trail as Ill be taking a few photos etc etc for a future Green Lane article for the mag. Its a good beach trail and takes about 20 mins to get through it. So really want to be at the start of this trail by 12:15. Will know a bit more early next week when I check my maps. Away for the weekend.
no worries, figured it would be a big logistical ask... you definitely hitting the beach byway on saturday or is it something we could do on sunday after coming abck across?
Chris



G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750

beddowsm
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by beddowsm » Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 am

Orlando_Orange wrote:
beddowsm wrote:
Will be difficult Orlando. Only planning on trail riding for 5 hours max so may end up having to cut what I have planned a bit short to make it to the crossing point. Infact, if I aim to be at the crossing point for 1300 then that reduces the trail ride to 4.5 hours. All depends on how fast we move (dont want to rush, so will be taking it as a leisurly pace...promise!) as a group to where we end up. I have a rough route, but if we dont complete it all then so be it. Suppose the best option would be to head to the Beach trail. I really want to get this in as the last trail as Ill be taking a few photos etc etc for a future Green Lane article for the mag. Its a good beach trail and takes about 20 mins to get through it. So really want to be at the start of this trail by 12:15. Will know a bit more early next week when I check my maps. Away for the weekend.
no worries, figured it would be a big logistical ask... you definitely hitting the beach byway on saturday or is it something we could do on sunday after coming abck across?
Going to try for Saturday, but its not far out of the way so happy to do Sunday as well. Just north of barrow. Bikes will need a clean anyway so may as well have some fun on the beach byway.

It's got everything, soft sand, a river to ride through, hard compact sand (and all too easy to wind the throttle back and go for it)........remember there are speed limits. A pebble section which is tough going, so easy to loose front end. And rock pools and seaweed covered rocks. Oh, and the mud section. I've probably made it sound harder than it is. It's not really. Good fun.

mikeyboy
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: Piel Trail Ride

Post by mikeyboy » Sun May 26, 2013 9:43 am

have you decided where you are camping on the friday yet??
OVERLAND AND CLASSIC MOTORCYCLES

BMW 1200 final drive specialist

BMW transmission specialist

overland and trip preparation

servicing,repairs and tyres

1980's Japanese and European restorations

motorcycle engineering/fabricating

Post Reply

Return to “June 2013 - ABR 'Island' Rally at Piel Island 1st - 2nd June”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests