coleman pole snap

The essential art of farkling.
Phil

coleman pole snap

Post by Phil »

well looks like ive joined the long list of people who has had a pole snap on there Phad x3 tent :angry:

i love this tent - great packs size / weight & doesnt even flap in mach 10 winds. BUT...the bloomin ground sheet is dam thin and the poles seem a TINY bit too long.

So...has any one got a snapped pole they dont want so i can repair mine? im going to chop a little off each pole, prob only 6 - 10mm to try and take away some of the tension.

also need to carry a little repair sleeve in case this happens again. Even though i really like the tent, the ground sheet and pole issue is starting to make me think of getting something else :unsure:
JimboF650

Re: coleman pole snap

Post by JimboF650 »

Should have shortened them poles when I did ;) . I know our tents are different - but don't be shy when cutting them, I took a 1 1/4" and 2 inches off mine. And use a pipe cutter.
Jim
davec

Post by davec »

Hi Phil, sorry to hear about your tent, maybe you should try a caravan? :dry:

I'm thinking that 6-10mm sounds about the right amount to shorten the poles and pipe cutter sounds like the tool for the job, seriously thinking about doing mine. Did the pole snap while you were putting the tent up and did you have the adjusters slackened right off?
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
Phil

Post by Phil »

it was the porch pole that snapped (the one with the red end). i was actually taking it down, it had been up all week with no probs :unsure:

i dont want to chop too much off as it might effect how rigid the tent is, and thats one of the things i like about it.

Did the phad X3 come with a repair sleeve? if so, fook knows what ive done with mine. When putting this tent up...or down..i always do it with the doors open & the adjusters slackened fully off.

still the issue of the ground sheet. some mornings i was finding it damp on the inside as its so thin. i want to get a foot print for it which isnt a bad idea for any tent as it adds warmth & protects the ground sheet. you cant buy them though for the phad 3 so will have to make something. :dry:
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

The American Coleman website lists a footprint, but sadly no mention of one outside the US. I wondered about trying to see if there's some kind American on ADVRider who'd send a bunch over as sadly you need a US billing address to order directly from Coleman.
Happiness has 125cc ...
gsdman

Post by gsdman »

Hi guy's,
I have the X2 and have cut 15mm off my poles and always erect with doors open and slack tension bands and no problems yet!
I think a friend of mine forum name pauls as a x3 and im sure he as a footprint for it?
I have cut a go-outdoors one to fit it does make a big difference.
Regards Tez
I feel lost, So I have Bought a KTM 990 ADV to go look for myself.
Phil

Post by Phil »

thanks for the info guys

poles - once i get a replacement section from somewhere i will prob cut about 15mm off them all (max). also want to get hold of a sleeve repair thingy bob, just in case.

footprint: im not fussed about it covering the whole tent including the porch, would be happy if i can get something that covers most of the main part. an exact footprint would be nice though
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I'm sure the vango alloy poles are same size..just a thought and they do the repair bit...my tent was slightly damp one morning just under the bed though..so probably heat and condensation...

all coleman floors are thin..
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Phil, I've got a pack of these and I used one to replace a snapped pole on my coleman avior tent. I presume yours is the same pole size. Check them out and if they look right, you are welcome to have a couple next time we go for a ride :) (soon I rekon!)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”