Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

The Things We Ride
Alun

Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

Post by Alun »

I've been spending a lot of time lately checking out the manufacturers range of new machines in the 'adventure' and 'touring' categories. It's been an interesting time and has me pondering the question which manufacturer has the above two categories in the bag?

Is it BMW with the GS and RT?
Honda with the Varadero, Transalp and Pan Euro?
Yamaha with the Tenere and FJR?
Kawasaki with the GTR and Versys?
Triumph with the Tiger and new Sprint?

What do you think?
Treadtrader

Re:Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

Post by Treadtrader »

There were loads of bikers touring Scotland.
Top manufacturer was easily BMW with the GS being the most popular.
It seems the european manufacturers are more switched on to adventure riding than Japan. Allthough Yamaha are trying.
One thing i have noticed is Adventure bikes are the new tourers now.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

Some interesting points to consider with this one and a lot depends on what you regard as an "adventure". There is no doubt the BMW 1200 and 800 are top sellers but very few of those machines ever venture far "off road". I agree that most are used as tourers rather than "adventurers". For the true off road adventure (particularly unsupported expeditions) you need to be looking at KTM for the larger machines and the smaller Yamaha 660 Tenere. Personal opinion of course and currently I am using a BMW650 which has worked very well in both European and African off road conditions. In my humble opinion "light is right" when it comes to adventure motorcycles.
Alun

Post by Alun »

If the past 15 years of publishing Adventure Travel magazine have taught me anything then it's that the word 'adventure' has no strict definition and is relevant to the individuals experience. For example; if you've lived in Birmingham all your life and never travelled out of the City limits then nipping over to Coventry would be an adventure. On the other hand if you've spent the last 30 years of your life riding around the world then crossing Africa would be just another Sunday afternoon outing.

The same is true for mountaineers; for some, climbing Everest is no big shakes and yet for the vast majority of people who enjoy hiking up hills it would be seen as the ultimate adventure. My view would be this; if you think it's an 'adventure'...it is.

As for adventure bikes being the new tourers, haven't they always been? For every 1 that's taken into the African wilderness there are 10,000 parked up at a service station on the M1 en route to Scotland or the roads of Europe. I've always viewed them as an alternative brand and style of tourer much in the same way that a Toyota 4*4 will whisk a family to the Alps in comfort, as will a people carrier. Some people just prefer the image of the big bruiser rather than the blander family vehicle.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

"Light is right" good quote.
After many years of riding trials competitions, the bikes are as light as feathers.
For trail riding the same applies.
I would allways pick light weight over power for riding difficult terrain.
So, why do so many pick huge, heavy GS tractors?

But if anyones giving them away, i'll have one.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
barnhatter

Re: Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

Post by barnhatter »

I feel that the term Adventure Bike is a new way of saying general purpose.
I use an old Honda Hornet for touring its light and powerfull enough to deal with almost anything that I throw at it, from mild off road to motorway bashing.
Bikes will scale from large tourers and sports bikes that won't touch dirt to small off roaders which can't do motorways.
For most people they need a do it all bike which is where "adventure" type bikes come in, something that the european market has known for quite a few years.
My ideal bike if I had the money, which I dont at the moment will be a triumph 800. Small and light enough for my legs and powerfull, with enough protection for distance travelling.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I think Kawasaki have some way to go yet, but I believe that BMW definately has it nailed as the top dog for adventure and touring bikes. They have the K1300s & GT, R1200RT, R1200GS/A, F800GS,F650GS etc etc.

They literally are the benchmark by which all manufacturers attempt to build a rival machine.

It would be nice however, if Kawasaki released a Large Versys, say a 1000/1200cc parallel twin, but capable of off road use. Id probably have a hard time choosing between that and the 1200GSA.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
lmg

Post by lmg »

Its much like saying "who has the best mrs" - its all subjective. I reckon the GS/GSA is pants compared to the Varadero but then im likely to be slapped about by a fair few people who think the GS/As are the dog twitchers. Touring is another example - the Goldwing is the downright number one touring machine imho due to it doing everything and have an arm chair-like seat, however people think the Pan and RT are also unsurpassed.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I think an adventure bike stops being an adventure bike and turns into a big tourer when you are not prepared to adventure on it. Vies versa a non adventure bike turns into an adventure bike when you adventure on it. if that make sense. :S

This explains it better than me. ;)
adventure_motivational_poster-p228041968800805764qzz0_400.jpg
adventure_motivational_poster-p228041968800805764qzz0_400.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Mark Young

Post by Mark Young »

lmg wrote:Its much like saying "who has the best mrs" - its all subjective. I reckon the GS/GSA is pants compared to the Varadero but then im likely to be slapped about by a fair few people who think the GS/As are the dog twitchers. Touring is another example - the Goldwing is the downright number one touring machine imho due to it doing everything and have an arm chair-like seat, however people think the Pan and RT are also unsurpassed.
I dont think you'll be getting too many slaps Leigh! At least not face to face anyway.

I have the best Mrs in case that wasn't rhetorical :P
I think tourer has to be Goldwing, Harley, Pan and then the rest...
Adventure (as in sand, mud, gravel, tarmac and rocks - probably anything less than 800cc.
Just for show, or personal preference is everything else..
South East England ABR Group!

Return to “BIKES”