Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Alun

Re:Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Post by Alun »

Where's rosedale? No way would I miss a boil out.
davsato

Post by davsato »

rosedale abbey, north yorks national park, somewhere between 'the royal' and 'heartbeat'
XRV owners national meet, next month. (XRV.org.uk forum, for honda adv bike owners but there is a large 'bavarian' element tolerated, they are like dogpoo, bring one in on your shoe and they get everywhere. and if we let them in, well, might as well have anyone) quite a few members are on here too.

and im only joking about the beemers, i quite like them, they made good bikes up to the R32.
Dave
scouse

Post by scouse »

Honda should have stopped at the C90 ;) Only decent dual sport bike they ever made :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
lilmike

Post by lilmike »

:)
Hi All..

Regarding water purifiers..
Has anyone tried the Adventurer Steripen which uses UV light to kill all bugs.
I have had one of these for several years now and used it in all sorts of differing water conditions from still tarns and lakes to running mountain springs and rivers and i have never had any ill affects.

Its light to carry ( you have to be careful with this device as the glass uv bulb could break, but its still going strong for me ) uses to widely available batterys that for upto 1000 ltrs worth of purifying.
Simple fill a water bottle with either 500ml then dip the steripen into the container where it then automatically swithes on for 60seconds whilst you stir it around in said water bottle.. job done safe to drink ( but will not make silted water or discoloured water look any cleaner, just kills the bugs within so may need a filter if the water is really mucky )..
Stir for 90 seconds if useing or wanting a litres worth of water safe to drink/use.
Pic below of said Steripen...

Attachments
Steripen_water_purifier.jpg
Steripen_water_purifier.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

Hi all, i have just had a bit of a trip and took with me this
http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-produ ... i-schwarz/
didnt use it much, and could have survived without it, but for peace of mind it was good, especially as i was travelling alone so keeping healthy was very important.
africajim

Post by africajim »

I've been sort of in the closet lately regarding this issue, possibly in denial????

Here's the Trangia in action,,,, now I feel soooo much better!
Trangia.JPG
Trangia.JPG (49 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

For those of you that don't like pumping. Try this... I use this. I've even hung it from my handle bars before now. I also carry a Katadyn Pocket filter. I would never take chances when it come to water. As for cooking I use the Jetboil and a Colemans multi fuel. A tip with the multi fuel, be it cookers lamps etc, If they start playing up due to fuel quality etc, try some redex fuel additive. This cleans the jets, works a treat.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”