Transalp 650 Tank Range?

The Things We Ride
Rhys

Transalp 650 Tank Range?

Post by Rhys »

Evening folks............................... B)

Just wondering what you TA650 owners get out of a full tank?

Also, when the fuel gauge is in the RED, how much is left before running out? :laugh:

Mines a 2001 with 113,000 miles, the fuel gauge works but i don't know how accurate it is...
Tramp

Re: Transalp 650 Tank Range?

Post by Tramp »

Well the tank is supposed to be 19ltr..but I can get 20 in..just brim it..the neddle dosent move for 100 mls the down slowly..at re you should have 4ltrs approx..I do 180 then refill..thats at 56mpg with no panniers..some gauges move faster..just brim it do 150mls then refill to same point ans see how much youve used!

sure Austin had his jets done so you should get 55mpg..all depends how you treat it :unsure:
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Tramp wrote: Well the tank is supposed to be 19ltr..but I can get 20 in..just brim it..the neddle dosent move for 100 mls the down slowly..at re you should have 4ltrs approx..I do 180 then refill..thats at 56mpg with no panniers..some gauges move faster..just brim it do 150mls then refill to same point ans see how much youve used!

sure Austin had his jets done so you should get 55mpg..all depends how you treat it :unsure:
Cheers Russ, just filled it up this evening and will see what happens at 180mls. I put 15 lts earlier but the needle was on the stop in the red, that means i had 4lts left at the bottom of the red :blink:

If i run out before then i will be after you :laugh:
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

If a ktm in the woods cant catch me you have no chance...anyway I have regularly got 210 ..220 per tank but running on fumes...thats at 70mph above that the alps use more fuel...my airfiler box does look like swiss chesse..all holy..and have pipercross too..

more suck than a old prostitute :blush:
piguglyshandydrinker

Post by piguglyshandydrinker »

Hi, as said the fuel gauge reads the last half of the tank & works well once you get used to it.
From memory I get about 40 miles from the red, once the gauge goes out of the red, about 25miles, when the gauge hits the stop & doesnt fluctuate, I reckon on about 10 miles until you are pushing it (literally!).

I can (and do) get 250/260 miles before filling but obviously depends how you ride!

I take it that's Austins old bike?

Phil
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Its my old bike and I was expert at filling up just in time.

The gauge works like this: from full it wont move at all until about 1/2 empty. Check the trip meter if you have reset it as soon as the needle moves off full, double it and that's about when you will need to fill up. Typically 220-240miles

When it just reaches red you have about 40-50 miles, when its on the needle about 10miles left. When it wont tick over well or get the first hint of running out of fuel you have about 2-3 miles left, although weaving about can add another 2-3. You can guess how I know this......I have squeezed over 20 litres into it a couple of times.

MPG on motorway runs at 70ish is 55ish mpg. At 80+ it drops considerably - expect 40-45mpg at those speeds and fill up at 170miles. I never commuted much in town so dont know how it does there, but running around at very modest speeds doesn't add much to mpg.

The bike has 125 main jets (standard is 128), a K&N air filter, de-cat'd, PAIR system removed. Did I include the Dyno chart? It was pretty much spot on but a free-er flowing can might cause it to run lean.

Hope its all ok for you.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Hi Austin,

Bike is great, its currently on sh*tty road salt and snow duty, its not blue any more it looks like its been dipped in a salt pot :lol: I meant to ask you, how long has the battery been on there? It stopped holding charge when i left it for a couple of days last week but i think i may have rescued it with a trickle charger. I had a look at it and its marked Honda Yuasa, is it the original battery?

Cheers for all the info, yes the dyno chart was with the rest of the paperwork.
david

Post by david »

My Alp gives 180 and in Norway with all the gentle Bimbling I was getting well over 220. I also find as you go north of 80mph the fuel drops to 40mpg, 2 up doesn't seem to matter.

Return to “BIKES”