Insurance advice

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
P4ulie

Insurance advice

Post by P4ulie »

I could do with some advice folks.

About to purchase a second bike but will be keeping my VanVan for general fun & games. I am looking into insurance & scratching my head a bit.

Would I be right in gathering that no claims bonus is only relevant to one policy, so I would be deemed as having 0 yrs on the second bike?

No idea where to begin with regards multi bike policy, particularly as have almost 6 months to run on current & unlikely to go with the same provider once expired.

Worst bit about riding, can live with the cold, rain & people trying to kill me...........insuring the things :sick:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Toblerone

Re: Insurance advice

Post by Toblerone »

Like you i dont get or like insurance companies, but from the hassle i've had this past week i understand that yes your no claims only apply to one policy.

So effectively no-no claims on the second policy.

Flippin nightmare :angry:

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys

'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason

Live n' let Live

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

I've got a multi policy that has Modern & Old machines on.
Don't know whether it's still available for new customers.
It's with Carole Nash.
Footman James I believe do similar.
I think these used to be called Riders Policies.
Also covers European breakdown.
I can PM you more details if you need. Brian.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
davec

Post by davec »

I remember rider policies, back in the day everyone had them with Norwich Union as I remember. I didn't think rider policies were workable with current legislation, DVLA checks etc. Would be interested to hear if they are still available.
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
Growls

Insurance advice

Post by Growls »

I've just taken insurance with Carole Nash. I don't have any no claims for the bike but the were 30% cheaper than the next quote.

The chap on the phone mentioned that I could ride up to 5 bikes on the policy but I didn't question him about it as I only need insurance for 1. Give them a ring.

They also do a 6 wheel policy for car and bike which I assume attracts a discount.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Paulie, I guess you've already tried to add a bike on to your current policy (mid-term adjustment - expect at least a £30 admin fee on top of the risk addition for the 2nd bike).

If you are 6 months into the current 1-bike policy on the VV, have you checked out the [strike] early cancellation refund[/strike] I mean termination agreement?

Sometimes, it can work out cheaper to cancel your current insurance and go with a new 2-bike policy with another provider. Mad, I know, but the existing insurer is in a position to take the p*ss when making mid-term adjustments and the new insurer will be gagging for new customers, as you know. Been there, done that :ohmy: but didn't waste my money on the T-shirt :).

Carole Nash have been pretty good and I seem to go back to them regularly, after being 'woo-ed' by others. They are very efficient with repairs toi your bike, if you are in an accident (we discovered this last year) but I wish I could say the same about the law firms they put you on to , for clearing up the cliam itself.

More importantly, give us a clue to what you are getting... ;)

Jon
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

About 5 years ago I had the same problem when I got a 450EXC. I just went to Swintons and they searched around for me and found a policy that put the KTM on with my Bandit and used the same No Claims. I went to the brokers because I had no luck using the websites or on the phone. Essentially what I had was a rider policy, but they were scratching their heads for a while before they found what I needed. Unfortunately I have long since binned the paperwork so I can't tell you which company they used.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

It's not called insewerance for nothing is it.

I haven't even told my insurers I've moved yet for the dreaded £50 admin fee, or like last time 'we will only insure you at that address for your last 3 months at 2 x your initial premium'. WTF :angry: I have previous experience of changing policy part way, I didn't even cancel as they wanted extra money for that.

I think I will make some phone calls regarding multi bike & see what happens. Carole Nash were V expensive when I was looking for a quote last Sep. Something about a 125 though, insurance can be ridiculous.

Jonny, I have given Mikeyboy a deposit on his Funduro. Hopefully all being well is mine next week :)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

P4ulie wrote:It's not called insewerance for nothing is it.

Jonny, I have given Mikeyboy a deposit on his Funduro. Hopefully all being well is mine next week :)
I just took a look at the ad. It looks lovely & there should be a good supply of new or secondhand spares around for a while.

I do hope you are keeping it yellow - you already have a white bike, mate :lol:

Jon

PS Why did they give it such a silly name? Funduro soumds like a kiddie's circus or play park! :P

Return to “THE PUB”