triumph tiger 955i ,your thoughts

The Things We Ride
*Touring Ted*

Re: triumph tiger 955i ,your thoughts

Post by *Touring Ted* »

rocky wrote:Don't bother you'll be disapointed after the Bmw. Sorry to those who own one :ohmy:
I don't understand that comment. And I'm not a die hard fan of any bike. I change bikes like people change underwear.

The Tiger is lighter, faster and much more reliable than any BMW I've seen..It's really well made too. Well thought out. Mine's ten years old now with nearly 50,000 miles on and it still looks less that a couple of years old.

It won't break down at will like a Beemer and they're also pretty easy to fix/work on.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bluepaul wrote:
Diesel Pete wrote:
jonny955 wrote: When I had my 955i (2006) Tiger, I often tried out other bikes (mates bikes or test rides from dealers). Every time I went for a ride on a R1200GS I jumped back on the Tiger wodering why anyone would go for the Beemer! Each to his own, fair enough, but do give the Tiger a chance. It's a great bike and put a smile on my face whereas I found the GS rather dull.

Jon
Wot he said +1 :)
and another +1
And yet another + 1

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

jackass dave wrote:oh i dont dissagree,the gs ,in most forms is not exciting ,when i had my ktm950s that was great to ride .
the gs is the do all of bikes ,it doesnt excell against a lot of bikes in one bit ,but i do think there , it ,are the best overall bike .
I disagree but then differing opinions are what makes us individual and the world a better place.

Either way, your problem of wondering which bike to have is a very nice problem to have and I hope you love whatever you end up with B)
jackass dave

Post by jackass dave »

thanks pete ,im still looking and open to offers ,....im really decisive untill i have to make a descion
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

I am new to this Adventure bike riding, but I have just got hold of a 955i Tiger.
Previous bikes, where 2x sv650's and a new z1000.
But i must admit the Tiger is the first big bike (size wise) and I love it. The BMW was an option, but way too expensive.

Pound for pound, only been riding the Tiger for a short time, but it is going to do everything i need it to do. Heated grips, an off road look and big bullet proof luggage.

And if you were looking at a second bike, how can you go wrong. Mine cost me £2,400 for a 2001 model, with 10,000 miles on it and it lived in Guernsey for 9 yrs, so has never been above 35mph!!!!!

Mint condition and with Hepco and Becker cages on the back. You do have to be a big bloke to ride one, but i'm 6 foot and it fits me. And that triple sounds nice!!!!!

Give one a try you might be surprised I was!

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

jackass dave

Post by jackass dave »

thats very shiny
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Thanks, this is how it was.

Bit of a story on this one, i will make it short.

Bike is a 2001 model.

First 10yrs it lived in Guernsey.... Guernsey has a 35mph speed limit, but no MOT tests.

Hence i only have the last 2 UK MOT tests.

Next 2 yrs in UK, after it was imported, it spent it's life in Cornwall. The first MOT in UK stated that the mileage was 2,500miles, don't suppose Guernsey is that big.

The bike, so I was told had never been out in the rain and had only been on 2 Summer trips around Europe. Hence it now shows 10,000miles. The bike was dry stored in a container at the guys work for 2 years.

I did all the normal checks on it and it came back fine....ie it is real!!!!

This bike caught my eye on Ebay, and is one of those things, where you say to yourself, "Well it is worth having a look" and i must admit it is in mint condition and feels like a brand new bike. The only thing that gives it away is the number plate.

I did take a gamble, as I live in Dartford and the Bike was in Redruth, but sometimes you have to take a gamble.

This is why the bodywork is so clean.

Si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

viince

Post by viince »

Redmurty wrote:
Bluepaul wrote:
Diesel Pete wrote:
jonny955 wrote: When I had my 955i (2006) Tiger, I often tried out other bikes (mates bikes or test rides from dealers). Every time I went for a ride on a R1200GS I jumped back on the Tiger wodering why anyone would go for the Beemer! Each to his own, fair enough, but do give the Tiger a chance. It's a great bike and put a smile on my face whereas I found the GS rather dull.

Jon
Wot he said +1 :)
and another +1
And yet another + 1

cheers Spud ;)

+1 on wat they said
170.gif
170.gif (3.16 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
mwrmoore

Post by mwrmoore »

I love my 955 - Had it for 5 years now and racked about 40k in that time, the only issues I have with it are

Screen buffeting, but some fettling solves that
Front calipers crudding up a lot and needing lots of cleaning
Heavy clutch

If I were to improve it I'd stiffen it up a bit, and get a comfier seat

It's heavy mind, but ace on b, a road and motorways (I cover approx 250miles week on all roads) but wheeling it about and any off road makes me squirm a bit

The motor is great, mine likes a drop of oil but other than that it's been 100%

Lots around too so good choice and a wide degree of condition

P.s it's faster than a GS!
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

I used to work for a motorcycle specific recovery firm and after four years then went back to a dealership.as for all my time there there are three manufacturers i would not buy 1.harley and equal 2nd bmw and yamaha why i here you ask well harley mostly because they will break down for no apparent reason and bmw &yamaha well bmw electrics are crap the sensor ring issue still dogs them the rear drive bad machineing and going pop the shaft for not being oil lubed anymore and not covered on warranty and having to pay for a service schedule to keep said warranty only bmw would be 1150gs as bomb proof never an issue appart from locktime on startermotor bolts and thats a simple fix ok yamaha make to many friday night bikes by that i mean they are made like lets sling it together as pubs open and we're off for the weekend so either a really good bike or a bad one.....
So choices are simples for me kawasaki great build quality suzuki similar and honda i cant afford a cross tourer and ktm and triumph ive had ktm 400for awhile great but the more i ride my tigger 955i the more i love it
So in summary my own choice would be ;
1.tigger
2.ktm 950
3.klv same as vstrom but better build quality
4.vstrom and r1150gs
5.crosstourer
Hope this helps cheers j :woohoo:
20121212_122331_2012-12-13.jpg
20121212_122331_2012-12-13.jpg (53.18 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

Return to “BIKES”