13 Countries in 13 days

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
feelthmagic

13 Countries in 13 days

Post by feelthmagic »

Hello all, I read some of your forum posts and it is clear that some of you are very experienced travellers. I am planning a trip in the spring of next year to visit 13 countries in 13 days. UK, Netherlands,Belgium,Luxembourg,France,Germany,Austria, Lichtenstein,Switzerland,Italy,Monaco, Andorra & Spain. Ideally circa 4 hours riding per day?

I am looking at doing this alone and plan to do a mixture of camping and cheap hotels.

Any pointers or advise on any aspect would be welcome.
Shotgun

Re: 13 Countries in 13 days

Post by Shotgun »

:) Why do you want to visit 13 countries in 13 days? Unless you're into that "If it's Tuesday it must be Brussels" stuff. It's a choice of course. :)

You could go for quality rather than quantity.....?
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

In fairness I did something very similar in 2010 - taking in Poland, Sweden and Denmark too.

I did it as sort of a test to myself - to see how I got on with my own company on a longer trip, and how I coped with moving on pretty much each day. Plus it was also an excuse to ride my bike - not that it takes much.

Aside from Denmark and Poland, I´d been to each of those countries before - and I´ll no doubt be going back - so moving through at relative pace, was not so much of a concern.

I say, if that´s what rings your bell at any particular time, go for it. You can always go back - or even change your plans en route - if a place really grabs you.

My advice is that your plan of essentially riding in the mornings, and spending the afternoons looking around worked well for me. Make a particular effort to speak to people as you move through - they might not understand you, but you usually have a laugh anyway. If you do find someone you can communicate with don´t be afraid to ask for advice on routes and places to see / stay along your way - and keep a bit of flexibility in your planning to allow for those. And go with your gut feeling. If something doesn´t feel right, smile, wave and move on.

Also, think about making it 14 by adding Czech Republic - it was one of my highlights.
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Welcome feelthmagic, sounds like an interesting trip, give yourself sometime to enjoy the different countries.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Start in Scotland,England and Wales, thats 3 before you ferry out,,,,, Go Hull to Rotterdam, Netherlands into France , thats 5 within 250 mile.....as above make it a fun thing to do and make the memories about the places , people and roads not the miles. HAVE FUN
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

But your target of 4 hours a day is quite reasonable, depending on what roads you chose to take it allows you to cover between 100 and 200 miles a day. My advice would be to chose 3 or 4 places you want to enjoy so that you can ride 2/3 days then take a day off see some sites speak to local people etc. This would be the way I would do it it may mean doing some 6 or 8 hour days but also you can get local knowledge about the best roads, do other things other than ride.

I would suggetst staying places that have other independant travellers staying as these often people will give advise about what they ahve seen/ done the day before.

Places I can recomend you visting:
The Rhine Valley (awesome biking road)
The Black forest (as above)
Interlaken (full of back packers and travellers great for rafting etc.)
The italian lakes (how ever if you want to visit the Guzzi museum it's pot luck as to whether its open)
Biarittz (awesome spot for some R&R)

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
V_King

Post by V_King »

my advice would be do a mixture of highways and a/b roads + have one day off in the middle of the trip.

last year went through france/spain/italy for two weeks on a/b roads only. last few days wanted to get out of the mountains and see some straight roads asap :laugh:
""
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Shotgun wrote::) Why do you want to visit 13 countries in 13 days? Unless you're into that "If it's Tuesday it must be Brussels" stuff. It's a choice of course. :)

You could go for quality rather than quantity.....?
Someone joins our forum to get pointers for their trip, which is their choice, and you post this.

Maybe it would be better if you found another forum to play on?
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
david

Post by david »

"I did it as sort of a test to myself - to see how I got on with my own company on a longer trip"

I did that Pat. Fell out with myself often, disagreed on everything from routes to Politics. Now due to the failure of that relationship, I only get every other wknd with my Transalp :laugh:

My advice is go, have no fixed plans, just a rough plan. You may some days ride longer than 4 hrs(I think you may need too). But enjoy and be warned after 13 days in a Crash Helmet by yourself.........the above may seem funnier :)

P/s Start counselling with Relate, hoping the other half may come to the table..............if only for the sake of the Transalp
feelthmagic

Post by feelthmagic »

It sort of started off as wanting to go to Interlaken in Switzerland and then on to Monaco, then I thought it would be a good idea to ride down the montpellier coast. Then my other half said she could fly in to Barcelona for a day or two. Then I could ride back to Bilbao for the 24 hour crossing to portsmouth. I then looked at Google Earth and thought I reckon this could be done and the 13 countries thing sort of snowballed from there.
As for the 13 days, I only get 28 days holiday so its not like I can take 2 months off.
Some of us are only pretend adventurers - work and reality beckons.

Return to “TRAVEL”