TCK-80's v MT21's

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
xr650rbaja

TCK-80's v MT21's

Post by xr650rbaja »

Advice / help required?
Off to spain & morocco with some mates for a 3 week trip in March. 7 days in spain the remainder in morocco and i'm struggling to decide on tyres.
Choice is either Cont TCK-80's or Pirelli MT21's the reviews and comments on forums are endless with it coming out 6 of one & half a dozen of the other.
My bike is a modified XR650R any advice from those who have significant experience of both tyres would be welcomed

cheers
Jimbike

Re: TCK-80's v MT21's

Post by Jimbike »

I've ridden on both tyres and unless you are using a van, the rear MT21 will be bald by the time you reach Morocco. They are not great on wet roads but would be great once off the road, if it still has any tread. Once they wear a little and lose the edge the grip deteriorates quickly.

I've used the TKC80 on an XT550 and ridden through Spain to Morocco and back and still had some tread left on the rear. They are pretty good on the road and give decent grip off road. I did consider taking a set of MT21s to change once in Morocco but couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I'm glad I didn't as the Contis did a perfect job.

Hope that helps.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I agree with Jimbike, the MT21 would be gone before you catch the Morocco ferry. :(

TKCs or maybe take a look at some of the lesser brands, plenty of choice out there.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Both of my 600 singles get about 1500 - 2000 miles out of a rear MT21. On a 650R by the time you get to anywhere that needs a knobbly tyre you won't have any knobbles left.

If you want something that'll go the distance consider a Michelin Desert. Just don't ride on wet days though. Similar wet grip to driving a bar of soap round your bath :laugh:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

backofbeyond wrote: If you want something that'll go the distance consider a Michelin Desert. Just don't ride on wet days though. Similar wet grip to driving a bar of soap round your bath :laugh:
I use Michelin Deserts 80% of the time on the Hp2 there the only off road tyre that lasts with the weight & power, never had a problem in the wet roads as long as you remember not to push to hard. Must have travelled 8000 miles on Michelin Deserts (not the same set :laugh: ) I think there great :)

The other setup I use is a D908 rear & MT 21 front if theres a lot of road

IMHO TCK-80's are good for big GS’s etc, road and abit of gravel

A lot of riders use Michelin Deserts in Morocco as they have a hard side wall which can help stop sharp rocks cutting your tyre on the pistes

All of this is my option but hope it helps

Louis
Mudwiz

Post by Mudwiz »

I've run both tyres on the XRR, although I'm not over impressed by TKCs. Following from the last post, I've used the Dunlop D908RR and found it hard wearing and grippy on the rear. The front caused a heap of wobbles above 60, I think the mass of the bike is too low to make the front work. I'd always be happy to use an MT21 on the front matched with the Dunlop rear.
(BTW I use an MT21 on the front of the Transalps and I think it will wear quite well. I've 2500 miles out of a well worn one I had kicking about on a 600TA so far, and there's plenty of life left.)
Wandering Star

Post by Wandering Star »

I went to Morocco and back on Conti TKC's. I also went on a set of tourance and there didn't seem that much difference. I have also rode tkc's through two winters on greasy roads. They are not as good as say a tourance on tarmac but they are still pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to fit them again. They wear pretty well too.
steve xr33

Post by steve xr33 »

Some friends of mine been to Morocco on there XR400s they used mt21 but they did last
then the next trip they use Michelin Deserts and had no flats! as Louisdut said pants in the wet hope that's any help :)
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

yep the TKC80 will be gone in that sort of miles but they are a great tyres , but yes put the michelin deserts on and go have some fun
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I was under the impression that Bajas are better/more durable than deserts. But that may be wrong, has anyone tried Bajas?

Return to “TECHNICAL”