I always slow down for horses, but should we?.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
hornet

Re: I always slow down for horses, but should we?.

Post by hornet »

Agreed austin but the problem is they smile to your face but want us off the trail asap forever they campain against trail riders as much as the rambliars
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:I'll probably be accused of being pedantic again but it was actually pressure from cyclists that instigated the start of the road building program, not motorists.
so not horses then!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I've always slowed down for horses, be it on motor or mountain bike – courtesy and common sense doesn't cost anything. Of course the common sense aspect applies both ways and I was taken by surprise on Saturday on the Taunton to Minehead road. If any of you know it, you'll know how fast traffic travels on that road – basically its the motorway to Butlins and 60mph doesn't cut it most of the time. Anyway I was heeled over on a fast right hander going down a hill at about 50 or so, came around the bend only to find not one but two horses walking side by side down the middle of the road. My slowed as much as I could given my angle of lean (standing her up and hitting the anchors really wasn't an option, but it's surprising how much you can brake mid-lean when you need to), then kicked her over a little more and passed over a double white line doing I'd guess about 25-30 – way faster than I'd ever consider and way closer than I'd ever hope for. Unfortunately you can't always blame the motorcyclist as this was the most stupid and dangerous place to ride a horse I've ever witnessed. Worrying thing was I'd been passed only minutes earlier by the regular saturday morning crotch rocket brigade who were doing rather more thn the national limit. I wonder what the outcome would have been if they'd had my encounter.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

I came round a left hand bend doing about 40mph,600/800yrds up the road in front of me ive got three horses on the opposite side of the road,two adults and a young lass.The young lass was frantically waving her hand up and down at me gesturing me to slow down,she was already flapping her bloody hand about when i came around the corner so she had obviously heard me approaching (Standard Exhaust,Not Noisey)
Now i wasn't speeding,and i always slow down and move over anyhow,its common sense,"it might come as a bit of a shock to you pet,but i actually don't want a huge fat horse on me head today thanks".It was her attitude that pissed me off,she automatically started having an epileptic fit coz i was on a bike,i felt like pulling over,and making a big song and dance about the huge pile of slippery steaming fudge "Bobby" had just deposited on to the public highway,which i have to pay to use!

Return to “THE PUB”