Skye and Harris/Lewis accommodation recommendations en route

Womble

Skye and Harris/Lewis accommodation recommendations en route

Post by Womble »

A mate and I are travelling up from Somerset (he from London) to Ullapool for the rally, setting of on the Sunday before, stopping off somewhere in the Lakes Sunday night (still to find a bunkhouse/camping barn here).

Booked in at the Oak Tree Inn Bunkhouse at Balmaha on Loch Lomond for the Monday night before heading to Skye and Harris/Lewis.

Any recommendations for somewhere to stay on the Tuesday night on Skye? Need to get the ferry Wednesday at 14:00 and likewise on Harris or Lewis for the Wednesday & Thursday nights?

We are taking the Stornaway - Ullapool Ferry on Friday afternoon, arriving at 16:30

Not travelling fast, enjoying the scenery on BMW F650 Dakar and 650 V-Strom :)

Cheers
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
AustinW

Re: Skye and Harris/Lewis accommodation recommendations en route

Post by AustinW »

I did a very similar trip before last year's Highland Rally, except went to Barra, S. Uist, N. Uist before Harris and Lewis. I used Gatliff Trust Hostels - on the Isle of Harris the hostel is at Rhenigidale. http://www.gatliff.org.uk/index.php?opt ... 0&Itemid=6 It is a brill house in a fab location. You cant book, just turn up and bag a bed and pay the warden when he comes round in the evening or the honesty box. Take food with you as the nearest shop is in Tarbet about 15miles away by road. There's other hostels all over the Isles but I liked it at Rhenigiadale so I stayed two nights. Its an hour or so to Stornoway for the ferry on a very good road.

Sorry cant help with Skye and I am too local to the Lakes to know where to stay.
Womble

Post by Womble »

Thanks for that. I did find the Gatliff Hostels site and have a read. When you went last year were there generally bed spaces avialable? Not too keen on pitching up to find no space!

It's been a real eye opener working out the ferries and so on for this, the original plan was to Go via Oban/Lochboisdale and ride up through the islands. Think we might just do Harris/Lewis and see if we can make a day trip to the Uists.

Cheers
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Womble wrote:Thanks for that. I did find the Gatliff Hostels site and have a read. When you went last year were there generally bed spaces avialable? Not too keen on pitching up to find no space!

It's been a real eye opener working out the ferries and so on for this, the original plan was to Go via Oban/Lochboisdale and ride up through the islands. Think we might just do Harris/Lewis and see if we can make a day trip to the Uists.

Cheers
No problem with bed spaces - me plus 5 the first night at Rhenigidale and me, a bottle of whisky and 2 lovely young ladies the 2nd night :woohoo:

The CalMac hopscotch ferries can be a logistic nightmare - sometimes seem to be run for their convenience not the passengers. I think I started Monday from Oban to Barra Castlebay at about 3pm, had a night on a hostel about 1 minute from the port in Castelbay then up to South Uist for 2 nights in the Howmore Hostel, then onto Harris and 2 nights at Rhenigidale. I didnt book any of the accomodation in advance; in fact I planned to wild camp but the weather was a bit shite so the Hostels won out. With 2 nights at each place I ended up with loads of time to explore the Islands; South Uist is particularly good and there are some tracks alongside the dunes that were good fun - even on a fully loaded Varadero.

The lighthouse at the Butt of Lewis is worth a trip just for the wild views and edge of the world feel but the ride up there isnt up to much - straight road, boring scenery after the first minute or two and is very exposed.

here's a link to my ride report on the XRV.org forum. http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-repor ... -tour.html

Have you checked out my trip to Islay and Jura on the way up to Ullapool this year. It might be an option for you if the planning for the Outer hebrides trip gets too complicated. Now we arent staying at the bothy on Jura there's no space limitation. Just a thought. http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... apool.html
paintman

Post by paintman »

Mate of mine runs this place.http://www.lochbaybnb.com/
He is a biker and will be able to offer advice about the Western Isles, give Johhny a ring, hes a very sociable lunatic. :woohoo:

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”