DRZ 400 how low can you get them?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
smithy641

DRZ 400 how low can you get them?

Post by smithy641 »

Hi all. I am new to biking and attended my first ABR RALLY few weeks ago (midlands) was great and wanted to get some off road / green lanes experience but, had the wrong bike (650gs twin), wrong tyres (road) and no experience. SO, I decide I want a second bike for this purpose. Was talking with two guys who had DRZ 400's and they looked perfect however, I am 5' 8" and a 31" inside leg. I don't think they will go that low will they? How low can you make them go? Or is there any other short arses out there that can recommend a good equivalent bike that can be used on road / off road?
I am sorry I can't remember the names of who I was talking to but think it may have been stan / the special one!

Was great weekend, thanks to all, see you at Ullapool.

Jim
Tramp

Re: DRZ 400 how low can you get them?

Post by Tramp »

HI..As most enduro are high so they can get across rutted trails etc BUT You can get lowering kits for them all..to be honest once you get used to them they are fine...Yam TTR 250 are another good bike and the blue year 2( models are the best and similar money to the drz..but better ..my opinion for a learner and hold their money..

loads of forums for both bikes and they have the magic button and very reliable..
Schoe000

Post by Schoe000 »

Hi Jim
I am 5'4" with a 27" inside leg and I can get down on tip toes.

Two inch lowering link about £15.00 and took half hour to fit, and two inches cut out of the seat done professional £25.00 still comfortable enough to ride 8000 miles on this year.

I have a TTR250 and a Gas Gas Pampera as well. The TTR did the same and dropped it nearly 6", 4" out of the seat and that is stand up only now :). Pampera is built for short asses so no need to do anything.

If the Drz is the bike you want at the right price go for it. You should be able to get flat footed with the mods it did.

Cheers Nick
smithy641

Post by smithy641 »

Tramp wrote:HI..As most enduro are high so they can get across rutted trails etc BUT You can get lowering kits for them all..to be honest once you get used to them they are fine...Yam TTR 250 are another good bike and the blue year 2( models are the best and similar money to the drz..but better ..my opinion for a learner and hold their money..

loads of forums for both bikes and they have the magic button and very reliable..
Cheers Tramp, will look at the TTR 250' is that also a road legal bike as well as off road?
Harty

Post by Harty »

Like Nick has already said really. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inside leg, I've had a DRZ and a TTR. With the DRZ, just needed a lowering link and a lowered seat and the TTR, just a lowering link.
.....eat my dirt!
smithy641

Post by smithy641 »

Schoe000 wrote:Hi Jim
I am 5'4" with a 27" inside leg and I can get down on tip toes.

Two inch lowering link about £15.00 and took half hour to fit, and two inches cut out of the seat done professional £25.00 still comfortable enough to ride 8000 miles on this year.

I have a TTR250 and a Gas Gas Pampera as well. The TTR did the same and dropped it nearly 6", 4" out of the seat and that is stand up only now :). Pampera is built for short asses so no need to do anything.

If the Drz is the bike you want at the right price go for it. You should be able to get flat footed with the mods it did.

Cheers Nick
. Thanks for that Nick. Sounds like a plan to try, what did you think of the TTR 250 compared to the DRZ 400?
Jim
smithy641

Post by smithy641 »

Cheers Harty. Same question to you please, which bike did you prefer? Please.
Jim
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Yep..if you goggle ttr250 you will get the uk forum which lists everything you need to know..very popular in Devon etc...
lighter than drz too..just...for what its worth before you buy ask on here if anyone has one you can try on the trails and road..sure someone would be accomodating..
smithy641

Post by smithy641 »

Tramp wrote:Yep..if you goggle ttr250 you will get the uk forum which lists everything you need to know..very popular in Devon etc...
lighter than drz too..just...for what its worth before you buy ask on here if anyone has one you can try on the trails and road..sure someone would be accomodating..
Feel a bit awkward asking someone I never met "can I drop your bike please" lol
special one

Post by special one »

I'm 6'1" and my inside leg is 33 I think and I can flat foot my drz, dog bones will lower it a bit.

Was it me and al you were speaking to at the midland rally? one yellow and one blue one.

I love mine and I'd recommend them to anyone, had mine 2.5 years and it's been and still is brilliant.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.

Return to “TECHNICAL”