Flat batteries. Fixable?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Andy5520

Flat batteries. Fixable?

Post by Andy5520 »

The battery (12v, not AA or AAA) on my scooter went flat - totally flat - and wouldn't charge. Apparently there has to be a small amount of charge left. Why?
I tried a jump starter just to put a bit of charge in & then tried charging but got 'knackered battery' warning from the charger.
Is the battery totally kaput or is there a way to recharge it?
dubber68

Re: Flat batteries. Fixable?

Post by dubber68 »

If you know someone with a ctek charger they have a recondition function which had brought back a few dead catteries I had in the garage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Cheap enough to buy a replacement and invaluable to have a reliable bike when it's ipssing it down after a long day at work.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
V_King

Post by V_King »

scooter batteries cost pennies. don't waste your time.
""
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

Sounds like it's gone short circuit so there is no hope.
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

Most bike and trickle chargers don't put enough amps in to Kick a battery back from flat.

Throw it on a car charger for a few hours first and it might recover.

However, If a battery goes 0v flat, it's usually for the bin anyway.

Good luck.
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

Just had a similar problem. Despite the charger showing a full charge as soon as I pushed the starter button it drained again. Just wouldn't hold enough to last.

I agree once you know it's battery it's time for a new one.
Andy5520

Post by Andy5520 »

Just curiosity, anyone know the technical reason why a totally flat battery can't be charged?

I've had the scooter about 8 years & bought a new battery (~£30) every year. All the stop/starting I suppose. I've recently started using Motobatts in other bikes and they seem a lot better - might try one of those in the Dylan. Bit more expensive but may last longer.
Chewy750

Post by Chewy750 »

If you have another battery (the same) connect the two in parallel and then charge, this will fool the charger and allow it to charge the dead battery,oh yes, if you have another then of course there is no need to do it anyway!. You also have to think about why it went flat. The potential is that it will have either sulphated up or maybe even killed a cell in which case you will need a new one.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Agree with previous posts that one or more cells have sulphated and failed so a new battery is your best bet.
A bit late I know and hindsight is a wonderful thing but get yourself an Optimate or similar with an intelligent function which monitors battery cell condition and gives the battery a continuous trickle charge to maintain battery output. My bikes are permamently on charge 24/7 whilst parked up in the garage.

Return to “TECHNICAL”