Yuletide Exmoor Explorer 7th to 9th December

devon john

Re: Yuletide Exmoor Explorer 7th to 9th December

Post by devon john »

a little up date talking to the camp site owner Martin there will be some food cooked on
site if needed.

john
James691

Post by James691 »

Great! :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Schoe000

Post by Schoe000 »

Hi John put me down for this please. Cheers Nick
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Can I put this into the melting pot?

Instead of our normal Saturday Rideout could I suggest that we do a "toy run" or something similar for a local children's hospice or hospital etc?

There is one just down the road near Barnstaple, Little Bridge House.

It's just a thought but if we turned up with a few toys, big bikes and lots of mince pies etc we may even get a hot cup of coffee to wash it down. Thoughts?
motomad

Post by motomad »

Aw...go on then. Put me down!
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

MarkN wrote:Can I put this into the melting pot?

Instead of our normal Saturday Rideout could I suggest that we do a "toy run" or something similar for a local children's hospice or hospital etc?

There is one just down the road near Barnstaple, Little Bridge House.

It's just a thought but if we turned up with a few toys, big bikes and lots of mince pies etc we ay even get a hot cup of coffee to wash it down. MThoughts?
Mark, Thats not a bad idea, I'll talk to the local RospA boys and the local bike clubs and see if we can get a big group of us together to make this a really fun day. The kids of Little Bridge House love noisy bikes with loud pipes and horns as every year there is the North Devon Mini Run which raises money for Little Bridge House and the kids all come out to see the hundreds of Mini's and the motorcycle stewards arrive making a huge amount of noise. I might be stewarding this year (This Sunday and Monday) so I'll see if there's anyone I can talk to arrange something. Keep you all posted.
James691

Post by James691 »

Whoa Tim :)

Give Alun a call before you sort any sort of mass ride out for any orgs or charity please mate.

01789 450000 on Monday please.

We have spoken about Charity elements and ABR events in the past.
Dancing in the moonlight
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

That'll be a no then. Looks like its a Saturday rideout afterall.

James, I didn't think a charity run for a local hospice would be outside the rules of a ABR Rally. The local boys will probably be doing their own toy run closer to Christmas anyway. Some of the Rospa boys are coming to camp and join in the rideout anyway, John's been busy recruiting.
James691

Post by James691 »

May well not be but there are many factors to think about.

Just a open 'yeah crack on' could lead to open all charity events. People may be suffering from cancer and the rally a break away from it - only to find that there is a run to the local Mac' Nurses. Great cause and great people but now the rally is about Cancer and not just forgetting woes and going for a ride with some mates.

No ABR event has a charity element without it being talked about - as I asked, just give Alun a call and let him know who and what it is.

The Boil has the Orphans in India - so it's not a case of 'that's a no then' :laugh: I'm not your Dad.

Putting on a ride out then adds that element to the event. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Blue Knight, I ride the Easter Egg Run and many other Charity events. I do ultra long distance events for MS and my cousin has duchenne muscular dystrophy, so I do a lot of 1500mile in day events for his cause.

But you then open to a focus of charity - what if I now get a letter about a 2013 rally - My son is terminal from XXXX please could we have a ride out to....
I get an email - Dear James, my wife is dying from XxXx could we please hold a ....

So, there is no issue with Charity at all, it is very British!

Just check there is nothing that it clashes with by asking Alun before speaking to anyone in the charity or biking world as a professionalism, knowt more than that. There may be something going on that you don't know about.

Then again Alun may say something that may be more effective given his power of contacts.
Dancing in the moonlight
Schoe000

Post by Schoe000 »

Bigtim wrote:I didn't think a charity run for a local hospice would be outside the rules of a ABR Rally.
:dry: :dry: :dry: I would be curious to know the reasons behind this if anybody would care to comment or PM me.

Return to “ABR Yuletide Exmoor Explorer Rally 7th to 9th December”