Chain replacement help!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SimplyExploring

Chain replacement help!

Post by SimplyExploring »

Just in the process of replacing my chain (525 O-ring KTM OEM) And its little different than I have used before.

Firstly it comes with some wire spacers ( I presume to space the orings out when riveting???)

And what has me more confused is that the master link does not have holes in the end of the pins! so when I go to spread there is nothing but a hard pin. Now question is, is there another magical way of riveting this type of link or do I just treat it as any other rivet master link chain before???
davsato

Re: Chain replacement help!

Post by davsato »

cant help you with the wires, never seen that before, but the solid pins are not unusual there are a few styles of rivets available. just make sure you have the right tool for that style.
what did the original chain have? dont worry if you cant find the master link, having all the pins exactly the same is not unusual either if its the original chain (some bikes are built with an endless chain put on the swingarm before its put in the frame, saves the time to rivet it).
Dave
SimplyExploring

the chain is original, and had no master link. this is first chain replacement on this bike. I presume I dont have the right tool!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: and I want to head into hill over weekend.

Any ideas?
V_King

Post by V_King »

ktm service manual?

don't know about the wire rings, but the solid ends are common in good quality chains :)
just rivet them as usual. but they do not need much force to be riveted, there is usually a torque value, to be used in the manual with the chain.
""
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

The wire rings are what you said to stop you squashing the o rings when riveting then you remove them and you'll have equal spacing..are you sure it's a rivet link you've got and not the slide on clip type
SimplyExploring

replace a few chains in my days but this one is a new one on me.

doing google searches tells me its a quad and stake link! Need a different tool!!!

So looks like I will need to get a standard master link! Just screws up my weekend completely! :angry:
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

The wires as stated are to stop you getting a tight link .I would get an old type split link if your not sure ,worked ok for years before we all started to rivet the f..kers
SimplyExploring

SPEN wrote:The wires as stated are to stop you getting a tight link .I would get an old type split link if your not sure ,worked ok for years before we all started to rivet the f..kers
I think what anoys me more is why do KTM supply a chain and sprocket kit with this type of master link that is not the the norm. Just seems really stupid!
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

I know most rivet links have small holes to let you spread the ends of the link ,just try it with a normal chain riveter, the ends must be soft enough to spread or drill your own holes if you have a small enough drill bit :huh:
davsato

Post by davsato »

SimplyExploring wrote:
I think what anoys me more is why do KTM supply a chain and sprocket kit with this type of master link that is not the norm. Just seems really stupid!
not stupid at all, you have to go to a KTM dealer to get it done! if you think thats bad, get a modern BMW

the wires sound a bit OTT to me, i only ever use heavy duty D.I.D. X-ring chains that have a stepped pin so its impossible to press the plate on too far, and can be put on easily with a cheap generic chaintool. simples
Dave

Return to “TECHNICAL”