Helmet Choice

Does my ass look big in these?
OB1

Re: Helmet Choice

Post by OB1 »

I have actually tried a few flip front helmets on in the shops (and the company that I work for sells them).

One of the biggest factors that have put me off getting one (besides the aforementioned safety concerns) is the fact that they weigh so much more than a conventional helmet. A friend who wears a flip front borrowed my Shoei once and commented on how light and quiet it was compared with his flip front.

The argument about ease of communication compared with a flip front seems a mute point to me as I can remove my lid in seconds flat - D-ring or seat belt fasteners make no difference. I remove my helmet every time I go to a petrol station, into a shop or wherever... its just a polite thing to do. After 27 years of doing that, it has become a habit, something that is as natural as taking the keys out of the bike.

NOTE: Pet hate - people who complain that they have to take their helmets off at petrol stations. :P
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Strada

Post by Strada »

Warthog wrote:
OB1 wrote:Five star rated helmets.
2 Flip up lids listed.

They are not all bad andi must say, having bought a Caberg Trip, they are SOOOO practical!
There are plenty of Full-Face Helmets from the big names that perform far worse...
OB1 wrote:
That's what I was saying, they have a 5 Star rating but the chin area isn't tested! Wonder Why?
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

We were at the NEC last year and my mate wanted one as he's bought a scooter to use in and out of work. Being hard core sports bike riders before we got into dirt bikes I was a little sceptical but decided to have a look as well. I wmust say I was not too impressed with the 'feel' or operation of the flip up part. The ones I tried all seemed a bit cheap and nasty. Didn't try a BMW one though so maybe they are better.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Just my veiw!

I would never wear a flip front!

In the early 80`s coming out of Gerards at Mallory Park a rider just in front dropped it and I went over the bars and impacted on my lid & slid down the track on the front of my lid (brand new fibreglass MDS) The visor wore through & the helmet half way through plus crackong to the gel coat down the sides from impact!

Roll on to 2007 and the g/f and I where thinking of going down the flipfront route when a German friend and his g/f had a big off in Italy right in front of us, they both received serious injury neither to the head, but he had a locked down flipfront on and he came to rest backwards against a high grass bank and on impact his helmet flpped up and I can remember seeing just how much the momentum of it flipping pullled back on his chin!

These are just my reasons for not buying flip front.
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

900Fantrider wrote: impact his helmet flpped up and I can remember seeing just how much the momentum of it flipping pullled back on his chin!

These are just my reasons for not buying flip front.
All the energy that was used ripping his helmet open would have been have been energy spent yanking his head backwards had the chinbar been integral and not hinged: I know which worries me less.... better the lid is the fulcrum than my nape...

Anyway, all lids have +s and -s each to their own. My only point is that they are not all weak designs.

As for not testing the chin: can't comment but then no lids seem to be. Presumably it is down to the statistical likelihood of a head on chin impact not being so common...
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Warthog wrote:Presumably it is down to the statistical likelihood of a head on chin impact not being so common...
Its more down to a chin impact not being so life changing, compared to a head/brain impact.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

I hope I never have to find out if the chin bar is the weak bit.
Each to their own and horses for courses, Ob1 looks and sounds like your dead against flip up so just go for the best fit.
To tell you truth I did not think about checking reports or safety issues with the flip style lids.
I had a Caberg flip cos I think they are practical, quick drink at the lights, quick natter or to show face through customs. I got rid of the caberg due to the noise and got a Shoei flip which I can wear all day and have hearing at the end of it.
Some of the big shops here have wind tunnels so you can check fit and noise yourself. Your planning on a big trip it would be a shame to get to HK only to be Mutt&Jeff
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

bikeburns

Post by bikeburns »

Hi, it would depend on what type of roads and what speeds you will be travelling at.
A proper full face will give you more protection.Main thing is getting one that fits properly.If you will be offroad or travelling slow adventure or open-face are O.K.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I think that the further east I go, the slower I will travel and the hotter it might get.

Because of this, I think a dual sport like the AGV AX-8 DS might be the best option for the trip. Trouble is with something like this - especially when spending £400+ on a lid - I don't think that there are many shops that'll let you "try before you buy".
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Alun

Post by Alun »

OB1, the helmet for you is the one that fits best and comes out tops on comfort. Full face, adventure style or flip is secondary when compared to fit and comfort.

Return to “CLOTHING”