Helmet Choice

Does my ass look big in these?
OB1

Helmet Choice

Post by OB1 »

Just wondering...

I'll be getting my first "adventure" bike in a few week's time and was wondering about helmets. I've done a lot of touring before on sports bikes and tourers and I've always worn a full face helmet.

The thing is, every time I see an adventure bike, the rider has the adventure helmet to go with it. Now... is this just a fashion thing or is there a practical advantage over a standard full face helmet?

The thing that I worry about is that I have a Shoei XR1000, and Arai Chaser and a Bieffe open face (for the classic bikes) and I will have a problem justifying spending another £400 on yet another lid!

I have seen that AGV are releasing a new adventure helmet for around £100 - any thoughts?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
ADY

Re: Helmet Choice

Post by ADY »

go with what feels best,as regards wind noise etc(tall screens can cause some problems)
I personally have a nolan air with a removable chin bar which gives two lids in one but ultimately it should be personal preferance that wins each time.try all your helmets ONCE you get the bike,then think about it....
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

Have you considered a flip-face helmet? BMW System 6, for example.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

stormfield wrote:Have you considered a flip-face helmet? BMW System 6, for example.
I will NEVER wear a flip front helmet :ohmy: - may sound OTT but, as far as I'm concerned, they are more dangerous than an open faced lid!

I'm happy to look at the adventure lids but only if the advantage is one that I'll notice. Someone did mention to me that you get more ventilation with the adventure lids... any comments?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Marco46

Post by Marco46 »

Hello OB1, always been an agv man, but bought an Arai X-Tour lid two years ago. And its the best lid I have ever had. I can't fault it in anyway..
Marco
Marco46

Post by Marco46 »

As an after thought, there is the bike show at Excel in Feb....should be able to do a deal on any lid at the show...B)
Paul Neate

Post by Paul Neate »

When I was shopping for a new helmet recently, the Arai salesman I spoke to recommended going for a "normal", i.e. road-oriented, lid if most of my miles are on the road. He told me that the enduro-style shaped helmets, specifically the Arai Tour-X, are more likely to cause neck injuries than the more rounded road-style helmets if you come off at speed and roll down the road, as their shape doesn't roll as easily. He reckoned this is less of an issue off road. Maked sense to me. I had had my eyes on a Tour-X, ended up buying a Chaser.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

When riding offroad you will end up breathing heavy, especially if you have to pick your bike up a couple of times. So a full face helmet can become very claustrophobic.
Also they have better peripheral vision and the peak is used as a sun visor when riding toward the sun.

I got an Airoh S4 free for 74.99 BARGAIN!!
[ebay]190468913419[/ebay]
herman

Post by herman »

With the length of the trip and differing temperatures you are undertaking then I'd reccomend 2 helmets,full face and enduro style. On really long trips the joy of a fresh lid is worth the hassle in my opinion.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

The Shoei XR range are fab bits of kit and great for sports riding, however after a friends recommendation to try a Schuberth C3 I must say I wouldn't wear anything else while riding for extended periods sedately on an adventure - tourer type bike for road work.
The advantages of the helmet far out weigh any dis advantages, eg, getting hot? flip up the chin bar, sun is out flip down the visor, getting dark, flip up the visor, and no stopping to change the damn things, want a conversation,flip up the chin bar etc etc.
The fit and finish are superb, and the attention to detail is also very good, pinlock visor system, and even an anti roll off strap fitted internally from the back of the neck to the temple regions, and finally a very good ratchet closure system.
For short or off road ventures I also have a HJC CL XS, with integral visor system, to which there are definitely pros and cons.
Pro's, Looks good( mines plain white ) Reasonable weight, The peek works as a sun visor, With the visor down it is in essence a full face helmet therefore much more comfortable than goggles for use at any sort of speed.
Con's, the visor doesn't retract all the way inside leaving two see through wings hanging down, causing a bit if distraction, for me I cant get them out of my eye line, The peek causes a bit of drag at speed and can make your neck ache unless you angle your head down a touch [this might be a combination of my height and windscreen position] lastly Noise.
For me if I had to have just one helmet the Schuberth would win hands down.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “CLOTHING”