The Things We Ride
ty8ight

Re: How many bikes do you need

Post by ty8ight »

Three for me....

1200GSA
Tenere 1VJ
ZX7R

Love em all, but the ZX7R's kinda for sale if anyone's interested....(i'm too old for it now)

Steve
BMW 1200GSA

Yamaha Tenere 1VJ
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

I have never owned more than one , if you have the right bike that is all you need , the funny thing is that i dont have one now :( but if the funds allow it would have more than one : 1- super light ofroader / motocross bike
2- medium weight (600+ cc )offroad enduro ( KTM 640 adventure to be precise )
3- supersport bike 900cc +
4- big heavy cruiser to do long distances in comfort
5- veteran bike to cherish and polish / never ride :whistle:

that will do me :P
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

I always need one more than I have.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Buying the bikes isn't the real hard part, it's where do you keep them, find the time to ride them, clean, maintain them, pay for the fuel and the ever increasing cost of insurance. :(

Arguably you don't need a motorcycle at all, but what would be really nice is just to have the ability to be content with on, but like a chocolate Hob Nob one is never enough. ;)

But I have a dream list
GSA 1200 (For road touring)
RC8 (Track days)
Triumph scrambler (Warm dry sundays)
KTM Enduro 690 R (Touring the world when fully spec't)
KTM 450 (Off road any where)

And someone to wash, clean, maintain, service them all in large heated workshop.

It's nice to have dreams. :)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I used to think I was greedy having four bikes but now I know I'm not alone I don't feel so bad.

My collection is a Kawasaki ZX10R for trackdays and bad behaviour, a BMWK1100RS for European tours, a Tenere for winter trips and a KTM 250EXC for green laning. I keep saying I'll sell the ZX10R and the BMW then buy something to try and cover both roles but there isn't anything I really want.

I'm helped by the fact the my wife has a Triumph Sprint, a Yamaha FZ1 and an RD350LC which I can have a go on if I feel like a change.

Storing them is an issue but we've got them all in a single garage and just have to mess about if we want one of the ones at the far end out for a day.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I like to know what you lot do for a living. :blink:

I'm a builder on a reasonable wage but feel lucky to own and run just the one bike. :)
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Jelly wrote:I like to know what you lot do for a living. :blink:

I'm a builder on a reasonable wage but feel lucky to own and run just the one bike. :)
I work away from home all the time because it pays for toys :)

The part I hate most is that the person I really owe it all to is Maggie Thatcher because if she hadn't decimated UK engineering a couple of decades ago there'd be more competition for jobs in my line of work and the opportunities probably wouldn't be there for me.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Jelly wrote:I like to know what you lot do for a living. :blink:

With the exception of my KX/KDX hybrid which I bought, the 640 and 400 were bought with company bonus (thankyou Mark and Sebastian)
No children, low mortgage, good income and a non expensive(ish) car
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Low mortgage (small house), we both work in good long term jobs, daughter now living away from home, we live cheaply, other than bikes and trips away, we've been together 23 years, don't waste money on things that don't matter or don't enhance our lives, took a long time to learn some of these things.
Being married to the right person for me was the key and a lot of luck and then hard work involved in that.
Living in the north is certainly cheaper than living in the south as well, so my/our wages go further.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
lmg

Post by lmg »

Mr Toad wrote:Buying the bikes isn't the real hard part, it's where do you keep them, find the time to ride them, clean, maintain them, pay for the fuel and the ever increasing cost of insurance. :(
+1 on where to keep them. I have 5 bikes in the UK and 1 in the USA - two Triumph Rocket 3s (one is a custom single seater and the other is a custom two seater for when the mrs wants to join me on a ride), a 2006 Honda 1000 Varadero, a 1977 GL1000 Golding (project bike being turned in to a cafe racer) and a 1984 GSX1100 which is also a project bike being turned in to a hardtail chopper. I live in a 4 bed house with an integrated single garage and its packed to the gills.

On the insurance and fuel front I dont find it a problem. I have a multi bike policy for all of the bikes which costs me the same as a single bike policy. On the fuel front - since I can only ride 1 bike at a time then I can only burn fuel one bike at a time.

Service, MOTs and road tax obviously are more due to the numbers of bikes (well 2 of the bikes are road tax exempt due to age) so that isnt so nice. I used to drink a fair bit but now I dont so the money spent on that goes to the bikes.

In the USA I have a '98 Honda 1520cc Valkyrie (think Goldwing without the plastic) and that was a logical buy. I go to the states every year - usually a couple of times and to rent a bike it costs a fair bit of wedge. With the economic crisis over there, bikes (non-Harleys) are cheap as chips and the cost of the Valk was less than a week bike rental. Ive had it for 3 years now so it was a prudent financial investment.

Here in the UK I am seriously thniking of moving in order to get at least a double garage if not buy a farm with a few barns in order to have the space to keep the bikes and perhaps expand the hareem :)
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Return to “BIKES”