versys

The Things We Ride
mark1150

Re: versys

Post by mark1150 »

africajim wrote:I'll reply for Fiona regarding the BMW as I have no manners whatsoever!

The only BMW dealer within 100 miles of us was so uninterested in Fiona's money she was put off by the whole demeaning experience. She explained she was interested in a brand new bike but she would have to have a test ride before parting with her money, travelled all the way to Inverness to meet a salesman who was not interested in helping her at all and refused to let her out with a demo bike due to her height although she already rides a 650GS!
If that's what they're like before you buy what's the aftersales like? Our local dealer doesn't have a good word for them either so the whole experience has put both of us off purchasing a BMW again. That's over £20k of sales lost. Well done Calterdon BMW Inverness.
Are they not tied directly to BMW?
If they are I would have a strong word with them, followed by a letter, I can't see them being too pleased with their sales staff kissing off decent money, plus a word with the dealer principle tipping him / her the nod.
If nothing else you'll have given the salesman a much deserved hard time, and who knows maybe saved someone else the aggro of travelling such a distance for such poor service.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
africajim

Post by africajim »

I didn't go up personally as it's a 40 mile trip and Fiona was off work through the week so she went alone. Long story but Fiona was disgusted by the attitude and has refused to go back.
BMW have a very bad reputation up in the North of Scotland, Aberdeen no longer sell bikes as their sales staff were pathetic, plenty of customer complaints which led to them pulling bike sales in Aberdeen. Inverness is the only BMW dealer north of Perth so not spoilt for choice. Complain? You should hear what my local dealer said to them! Their loss.
Honda, the power of dreams.

Post by 03001978 »

There is Tayside BMW Motoraad in Dundee. They have very little in the way of approved used at the minute though. A tasty F800GS at 5,900 though. Other than that it is the big tourers and a couple of R1200's

CW
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

just sent this to customer services at motorrad UK. Might not go anywhere, but at least they can't plead ignorance when their sales go to the wall.

Good morning,

As a satisfied BMW owner, while on one of the UK's largest adventure biking sites I was greatly disturbed to see people being turned away from a great product. You may not be interested in this, but if anyone could have a word with this dealer, it would be you.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... ersys.html

..as you can see, not overly flattering for BMW.

No need to reply, would be nice if you could do something though.

Regards,

Michael.
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
garyr

Post by garyr »

africajim wrote: BMW have a very bad reputation up in the North of Scotland, Aberdeen no longer sell bikes as their sales staff were pathetic, plenty of customer complaints which led to them pulling bike sales in Aberdeen. Inverness is the only BMW dealer north of Perth so not spoilt for choice. Complain? You should hear what my local dealer said to them! Their loss.
Have to agree, Aberdeen is awash with top of the range bmw cars so john clark (aberdeen bmw dealer) was never interested in selling or looking after bikes. I know one guy who put a 1200 gs in for service and was literally given a death trap back,the dealer denied all knowledge of what there greasemonkey did, chap got it sorted elsewhere and sold it, hasnt ridden a bike since!!. I think a decent bmw bike dealership up here would make a fortune.
who dares, bins
herman

Post by herman »

Its not just confined to the frozen north I'm afraid. I went into a main BMW bike only dealer on an SV650 looking for an 1150R or similar but was waved in the general direction of an obviously very tired 1150gs so I took my bulging wallet elsewhere and bought a very nice Z1000. Same dealer could not of been less helpful when my mates 500mile old 1200GSA did the immobilzer fail and he bought it from them! It seems when dealers have a good product and dont have to try to sell they think the customers will keep coming back no matter what,oddly none of my friends that have had BMWs no longer do and they actually really liked the bikes they had.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
herman

Post by herman »

Anyway,back on topic,I really liked the unfaired SV650 we had. Low seat height and excellent handling. Image
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Thank you very much Lancastermick, my opinion was to simply move on to another marque. At least Shylocks in Aberdeen have a decent sales team, I believe Donald and his guys could convince me to buy the 800 Tiger.
Friends of mine have BMW's, my partner has a 650GS, even I run an F650ST and after having a run on a friends 1200GS I believed I could have been turned to the darkside. We were planning a pair of Anniversary white GS's, around £20K worth We're now looking at Triumphs 800 and 800XC, cheaper at £15K, also as a backup plan Fiona's looking at the Versys. We'll see.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

africajim wrote:I'll reply for Fiona regarding the BMW as I have no manners whatsoever!

The only BMW dealer within 100 miles of us was so uninterested in Fiona's money she was put off by the whole demeaning experience. She explained she was interested in a brand new bike but she would have to have a test ride before parting with her money, travelled all the way to Inverness to meet a salesman who was not interested in helping her at all and refused to let her out with a demo bike due to her height although she already rides a 650GS!
If that's what they're like before you buy what's the aftersales like? Our local dealer doesn't have a good word for them either so the whole experience has put both of us off purchasing a BMW again. That's over £20k of sales lost. Well done Calterdon BMW Inverness.
I had the same treatment of a dealer in brum even though I had cash on hip for a new GS, wanted test ride but he was more interested in going home early. I walked and bought a Tiger and never regretted it. Try before you buy cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I own a versys 2010 model and have done so for a year now,

Its brilliant, go out and get yourself one! Its comfy, great as a tourer and in its 2011 guise its available as a tourer with handguards, screen and pannier kit (Givi V35's rebranded as kawasaki).

The engine is perky, picking up torque at around 3.5k revs all the way to the red line, brilliant for country roads and minimizing dancing up and down the 'box. It's what makes it great as a tourer alone or two up, that engine sits in torque heaven all day long. Over takes are a breeze, even for a 650.

I have modded mine somewhat. I've added KTM handguards with spoilers, shock tube, changed out the OEM tyres to avon storm 2's, added a cigarette lighter socket, added fog lights with a SW motech bracket kit and am looking for a tall screen (possibly MRA or even 21cm higher givi screen).

Get yourself onto www.versys.co.uk - theres loads of people on there and its a great friendly community, full of technical info. (I'm the youngest member at the age of 21!)

Its frugal as hell too - 230 miles possible from its 19 litre tank. My rear avon storm has lasted me four thousand miles, its not even half way through its life yet or squared off. The front is in even better condition. Insurance group 9 means youre going to be a happy bunny with low costs, tax £70/year.

If you can't get on with the seat height, theres low seat options available, and even lowering kits out there.

Go and get yourself a test ride, you'll find it a worthy contender to the GS range and the like.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Return to “BIKES”