Quickie trip to The Nurburgring

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
McTee

Quickie trip to The Nurburgring

Post by McTee »

Hi there folks, I'm fairly new to the Forum, snd am trying to put a game plan together for the rest of the year having had plans scuppered by a broken arm, first up being a 'quick' trip to the Nurburgring later this month/early june, anyone with similar plans or even useful advice out there??
davecopland

Re: Quickie trip to The Nurburgring

Post by davecopland »

Sorry no advice to offer but Welcome to the forum , :)
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

Welcome
The 'ring and the area around it are awesome. It does however attract a fair share of idiots on 2 and 4 wheels. Spend some time seeking out the viewing points, main one at Brunchen, huge gravel car park and a great view of Brunchen 1 and 2. Another along the road a few hundred yards at Pflanzgarten, car park on opposite side of main road. This will give you some idea of the sort of vehicles vying for space on the track...oops, road, at the same time.
Park up away from the mad main car park at the entry/exit point to the track and walk 100 yds to have a saunter round the car park and get the feel for the place. Read the T and Cs on the big notice boards...you will be 1 in a 100 who do, most rush to get a lap in and many end up regretting it !
PM me if you want anything further about the area or decent places to stay/eat etc
Dave
McTee

Post by McTee »

Hi Dave, Thanks a lot for the info, thats just the sort of thing I'm after, spent next to no time in Germany up yo now, might well be after some accomodation info, its just a 4 or 5 day trip, end of this month-ish, Cheers, Martin
McTee

Post by McTee »

Cheers, nice to be involved!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Been slowly learning the ring on the playstation with a view of doing the ring in the near future. god luck and enjoy cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

Most visitors have done hundreds of PS3 laps and can do nice fast times on their TV. What takes people by surprise is the sheer scale of the place in real life, the off camber corners, the gradients, both up and down, the debris or fluid spill occasionally there etc etc. There is also the crazy fact that at any one time there could be a local in a mad fast Mk 2 Golf with a cage, a family in a 50mph campervan, a race car doing some shake down laps 'at speed', lots of people in between in fast cars who really can't drive as well or as fast as they think....the list is endless.
It isn't called the green hell for nothing. My advice for a first time is always to soak up the fantastic atmosphere of the place, stay locally in a small guesthouse as opposed to one of the new big hotel complexes. Try to blag a passenger lap off someone in the car park, most people will be happy to do it. If someone tells you they are a great driver, do 8 minute laps, never have an issue etc...walk away and find an unassuming person who says non of the above rubbish. A good sticker on a car to look for over there is NORTHLOOP, a UK based forum where every member will be happy to take you for a lap. And for your own lap? I would do it mid week at about 7.10pm. The barriers close shortly afterwards so go through them at 7.10, pull up on the right to adjust your visor/mirrors etc, wait for the last car through and then set off after it. You will be the last vehicle(s) to do the track, no pressure of people overtaking you and the track closure car will be a few minutes behind should anything untoward happen. No pressure, no grief etc.
The Nordschleife is a public one way toll road covered by German road traffic legislation during its TF (Tourist Fahren) period. You must obey the rules of the road.Technically your UK insurance will cover for 3rd party BUT UK insurance companies often put clauses on their policies stating either the Ring or One way unrestricted public toll roads are excluded. Although under EU law they must cover you in the event of an incident, what they state they will do is pay only third party costs and then claim them back from you. It is just something people need to be aware of.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebote/ ... leife.html
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

You would be stupid to think you know the ring just because you've done it on the PSP, but at least you should have some idea as to what is coming next ie a right or a left turn. I for one would certainly get some guidence before actually going on the track. But with it's history I think it's a facisnating place and a must do cheers Spud ;)

boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

It is definately a must do. I bet over 50% of first time attendees believe they know it by their PS3 type practice. The issue of thinking they know what comes round the next bend means they don't ride or drive it like they would a road they have never actually driven before. People who post like this and ask the right questions are way further up the 'food chain' than many of the hapless morons that turn up, buy a ticket, drive then stuff it into the armcote....
I love the place, go back way too regularly but have seen too many incidents not to 'preach' to those who will listen
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I believe there are people out there that do course's and show "Ring Virgin's" :blush: the way around I am looking to book a visit to the ring in the future. The first visit would be a simple get around and enjoy trip. cheers Spud ;)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”