Wheel bearings

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
garyr

Wheel bearings

Post by garyr »

I am going to change a wheel bearing on my honda as it is feeling slightly rough, now the one that is on has rubber side shields, so obviously i would change it like for like when i get to the bearing factors.My question is, i have a bearing the same size in my garage but it has metal side shields, does it make any difference for this application!!!!.
who dares, bins
Dazzer

Re: Wheel bearings

Post by Dazzer »

Hi Garyr
Rubber on the side of the bearings is there to help prevent water/ dust reaching the bearings.As long as the ones you have are the same size they will do the job but I'm not sure that the bearings you have would last as long on a bike if it were to be getting very wet and dirty.

You can pick up good quality bearings from local suppliers for around £10 a pair for the bike, Which is about half the price the bike dealers charge.
Hope this help's

Dazzer
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Fit a quality bearing with rubber seals on both sides.

Ask your bearing factor for SKF, FAG or similar premium make...cheap bearings from points east are a waste of time and money.

And a motorcycle wheel bearing is a safety-critical application.
GlosterBoy

Post by GlosterBoy »

When you get the new bearings, use a smooth edge to pop the seals out and then pack the seal with waterproof grease and put the seal back in. Keep the powerhose/jet wash away from the hubs and enjoy more miles per set than you would have got.

Return to “TECHNICAL”