Pressure Wash

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mattrace1

Pressure Wash

Post by Mattrace1 »

Ok noob question here! Should I pressure wash my bike? Plastered in mud! Now I know they take rain etc but I have a pressure washer this is very powerful even at lowest setting still 2500psi! Any thoughts?
davsato

Re: Pressure Wash

Post by davsato »

yeah i dont hold with all the scare stories, although i do know someone who jetted their car paintwork just after using a sandblasting attachment and the tubes were still full of grit, that made a mess.
pressure washers are great at washing off salt and crud, (but somehow never as good as you see on QVC with their fake mud :laugh: )
i use mine with gay abandon, but always on at least a slight fan setting never on jet, and keep it moving never hold it over a bearing or engine case joint etc. and try not to angle it into any electrical gizmos.
and they are good for removing vinyl graphics so beware!
Dave
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Same here, I just use it on the fan setting for removing big chunks and then it's down to a brush and a bucket. I never hold it over the spindles or the swinging arm pivot region. Then I use the fan setting to sweep the mud away into next door's drain :whistle: :whistle:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
tony23

Post by tony23 »

I must admit i'm sad, very sad...I have never pressure washed any of my bikes, A sponge and wax water is the wettest they have been...
I use spray on wax and a lot of micro-fiber cloths, metal polish and yellow dusters after they have been washed in the washing machine, furniture bees wax for the shiny bits and candle wax to stop water ingress in important places...
hornet

Post by hornet »

avoid bearings !!!! give up a pump or two of grease afterwards if nipples allow
get the mud sloppy by giving it a soak from a distance first
even then dont get close
use the fan setting or least direct jet
stick some rag in the exhaust to keep water out

if water cooled dont get to close to your rads as they can be damaged if they are as soft as mine on my drz

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Mattrace1

Pressure Wash

Post by Mattrace1 »

Thanks guys, went a gave it a good rinse to remove the surface crud now going round with the soft brush soap dispenser thing you get for cars. Then attacked with cloths. Nice clean bike! Cheers.

Return to “TECHNICAL”