Sunday Ride Out - includes some off road (RIDE OUT: FULLY BOOKED)

AustinW

Sunday Ride Out - includes some off road (RIDE OUT: FULLY BOOKED)

Post by AustinW »

424908_1d6165c81.jpg
424908_1d6165c81.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
Sunday Ride Out - Limited Numbers; Some off road on highland estate paths and tracks.

THIS RIDE OUT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED

Name of lead Rider – AustinW

Name of Tail End Charlie – TBC on the day

Type of ride – Mixed – approximately 30miles of Highland Estate stalkers tracks and paths with approx 80miles of highland tarmac.

Max number willing to lead.- approx 12 in total

Approx time of ride departure – 10.00 to 10.30am

Approx mileage of ride – 130-140miles

Approx time of return – 6pm – stress the approx bit of this timing

Suggested ride details – see special section below. I cannot issue details of the route in advance.

Technical level of Ride – Advanced

Special Sections – I have negotiated access to three highland estates so we can ride along stalkers footpaths and estate roads. This will get us to places where you would never normally get to on a bike with scenery to match that privilige. I have not been on any of the routes myself but from what I can tell from maps and photos available on the internet the tracks are rough enough to add some spice to the day, but not so rough as to intimidate. Nevertheless I suggest that unless you have already taken your bike off road before and therefore understand it's and your capabilities, this is not a ride for you.

The first route is an out and back route along a minor path. I understand a local does use his motorcycle along this track frequently but from what I can tell it is narrow, steep in places, exposed, and includes mountain and sea scenery. Refreshments and lunch will be available at the turn-around point – which is an interesting location with a lot of history. This route starts approx 30miles from Ullapool and is about 12 miles out and back

The second route is a further 30 or so miles and links 2 estates. The start/finish of this route will be straightforward metalled estate road but thereafter it cuts across one of the most remote highland mountain areas in Scotland. The route is popular with walkers and mountain bikers so should be well within the capabilities of an adventure bike. This route is about 18miles from public road to public road.

It is then about 50 miles back to Ullapool.

I am not willing to reveal the exact route on a public forum as we don’t want others taking advantage or abusing the permission we have been given. I have also given certain undertakings to the estates about our behaviour and the way in which we will ride our bikes and numbers of participants. This is not carte-blanche access to the estates and this is not an enduro or a race. The ride will be conducted safari style, ie everyone will follow me at the pace I dictate and only on the paths and tracks that I go along. Excessively noisy bikes will not be allowed – sorry but that was one of the concerns, so put your baffles in and keep the revs down. Good behaviour and leaving the tracks more or less in the condition that we find them should mean we get to go again next year.

Space is limited to about 12: That’s me, my son – Charlie – coz he has helped organise and plan;Largewayround - coz he is in charge of the rally; SteveT – for being an all round helpful guy.

And 8 others: the first 8 people to get their names down here and who are also listed as rally attendees get to go. Note the finish time on SUNDAY before committing to come if you also need to be back home for monday morning.

Photo of part of the route

Please check out my other thread about an adventure en-route to the Hoghland rally.
dubber68

Re: Sunday Ride Out - includes some off road

Post by dubber68 »

Put me down please.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

some more pics

108956_b46232901.jpg
108956_b46232901.jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
309598_998f4aaa_213x1601.jpg
309598_998f4aaa_213x1601.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Austin

Thanks for putting this excellent sunday rideout together.

As always , you manage to pull off the near impossible (as I know the ride out locations etc).

I imagine that a group of adventure bikers have NEVER ridden these tracks before.

Thanks LWR
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Hi Austin

This looks way to good an opportunity to miss out on.

Do you think I could get my name down please?
Well worth an extra night in the highlands :)

Many thanks

Tony
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Evening Barononny.

I don't know how you do it but I glad you do it. THANK YOU

If you need a local recce on the longer route and the landowners are happy for it to happen, I'm your man :woohoo: . I have done part of it from east to west - you'll know the access I mean. The Mountie has inadvertantly done a good section from west to east when he got "lost" from me and one other a year or two ago and he thought I'd disappeared up the track! As if I'd do something like that :whistle: . The whole route will take peoples breath away.

Again, if you need any help then let me know.

And THANK YOU again.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
AustinW

Sunday Ride Out - includes some off road

Post by AustinW »

Steve T wrote:Evening Barononny.

I don't know how you do it but I glad you do it. THANK YOU

If you need a local recce on the longer route and the landowners are happy for it to happen, I'm your man :woohoo: . I have done part of it from east to west - you'll know the access I mean. The Mountie has inadvertantly done a good section from west to east when he got "lost" from me and one other a year or two ago and he thought I'd disappeared up the track! As if I'd do something like that :whistle: . The whole route will take peoples breath away.

Again, if you need any help then let me know.

And THANK YOU again.

Steve T

B)
Thanks Steve, I don't know how I do it either. Bare faced cheek of just asking nicely I guess. Sadly for you I don't think I need a recce. I will give the logistics and planning a bit more attention when I get back from Africa in June. See you in a couple of weeks in Galloway.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
AustinW

Sunday Ride Out - includes some off road

Post by AustinW »

Participants post:
1 AustinW
2 [strike]CharlieW[/strike]Charlie cant go now so replaced with first reserve Ian Biggar
3 LargeWayRound
4 SteveT
5 Dubber68
6 Browndog
7. Alba
8. Peejay
9. Rybenuk
10. Alun
11. James691
12. Raymo
Reserves
13. Nibby
14. edharper
15. Minted
[strike]16. Phil[/strike]
17. Norris
THE LIST IS NOW CLOSED
Alba

Post by Alba »

Austin I love your tours can you put me down for a spot :woohoo:
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Me too please Austin :woohoo:
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”