Another Saturday ride out: Peninsulas and wild beaches

AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Adventure Bike Rider Ride Out Information.

Option A: Ullapool - Mellon Udrigle Beach - Slaggan Beach (off road track) - Badachro - Redpoint Beach - Kinlochewe - Achnasheen - Ullapool. 161miles. http://goo.gl/maps/7ihIz

Option B:Ullapool - Mellon Udrigle Beach - Slaggan Beach (off road track) - Badachro - Redpoint Beach - Gairloch - Rhua Reide Lighthouse - Ullapool. 169 miles. http://goo.gl/maps/ev8Nw

Name of lead Rider – Austin

Name of Tail End Charlie - TBC

Type of ride – ROAD and a short rough track about 3 miles each way to Slaggan bay

Max number willing to lead - Any

Approx time of ride departure - 10.00hrs Saturday

Approx mileage of ride – 165 miles

Approx time of return – 18.00hrs

Suggested ride details
GOOGLE MAPS as above.
I did most of this route as a rideout last year conducted at a fairly relaxed pace involving lots of coffee at an excellent cafe in Gairloch. This ride is an opportunity to explore some of the more remote corners and coast of the NW of Scotland. I will aim for a late lunch at the Badachro Inn and after Redpoint beach we can either return to Ullapool the "quick" way, or take a trip up the peninsular to Rua Reide lighthouse. If you haven't been before I would recommend this. The group could split up as its a simple return to Ullapool.

Technical level of Ride.
Novice - standard public roads with a relatively simple track.

Special Sections
The track to Slaggan Beach is a mix of broken tarmac, hardcore, or grassy twin track. Some puddles and a little thin mud and a lot of cow sh!t. Slaggan Beach is a truly remote and beautiful beach with remnants of an old crofting village pre-highland clearances.

The beaches at Mellon Udrigle and Redpoint are also both remote and beautiful. My aim is to visit them just for the photo opportunities and just take in the atmosphere and the views.

Rua Reide Lighthouse is at the end of the peninsular at Gairloch. The road to it is narrow, twisting and steep in places, exposed above steep cliffs and sea views to Skye, Harris, and beyond. It is a worthy adventure. The lighthouse is fully functioning but also a bunk house and B&B with a small visitor centre, toilet and a vending machine. It is interesting to look around and get the history of the lighthouse - complete with a very good AV display.

Riders
Austin
SteveT
LargeWayRound

Re: Another Saturday ride out: Peninsulas and wild beaches

Post by LargeWayRound »

Thanks Austin , I have been to all these places (apart from Slaggan Beach), very good rideout on some excellent roads. And I am sure anyone interested in your day out will have a brilliant time.

Cheers LWR
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Looks great ride Austin.....that's why I'll be riding some off it on my way to Ullapool B)
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Austin,

I think I'll follow you on the Saturday as well as the Sunday.

After seeing your pictures from last years ride, it looks a very interesting little ride, which ever version is done.

I'm in :)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I need to cancel this rideout as I need to do a recce visit on one of the tracks I am planning to go along on the Sunday off road ride.

Steve, you are welcome to join me on the recce.
T-bag

Post by T-bag »

Ohh boooooo

Austin have you canceled this ride completely? Hope not as its the only ride on the Saturday with any off-road riding.

I will definitely be joining you guys on the Sunday though. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Tarik
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

T-bag wrote:Ohh boooooo

Austin have you canceled this ride completely? Hope not as its the only ride on the Saturday with any off-road riding.

I will definitely be joining you guys on the Sunday though. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Tarik
Yup, definitely cancelled. Also the Sunday ride is full. The estates I have permission to access said limited numbers. Sorry. Edit.... I see LWR has already told you this.

The track to Slaggan bay is a legal byeway though. You can ride it any time.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Hi Austin would it be possible to send a GPX file of the route as I could be tempted to have a crack at this while I am up that way?
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

dubber68 wrote:Hi Austin would it be possible to send a GPX file of the route as I could be tempted to have a crack at this while I am up that way?
Hi, I have been in Spain for the past few days and now slowly making my way home. Only have my iPhone with meand 3G or free wifi when I get it. Will try and send something.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”