ABR MIdlands Rally - thanks one and all

James691

ABR MIdlands Rally - thanks one and all

Post by James691 »

Sweat now, for I shall post some pictures up tonight when I get home :evil:

Another rally and another big smile on my face, as the kit is loaded and the bike is ready, I’m off down the road again. The weather was of biblical proportions on the ride down, I was unsure upon arrival if I was going to pitch my tent or begin an Ark!

Just the ride into the campsite was an adventure, going forwards but sliding sideways, I was indeed on a fast flowing river crossing but one made of wet grass and mud! Never fight it and keep the sausages away from the front brake, I let the tail come around and then gentle power with a slight bar turn into the drift – easy.

More than a few on road tyres also had the same ‘sailing’ but without the fortunate end that I had – still, the BMW GS does bounce well.

Even with a nail biting ride in and weather that would have a Rain Dance troop getting a Gold medal – ABRers came from far and wide, pitching up a variety of tents.

Diversity is the key to all good events and the ABR Midland had grown in size but had not changed in ethos – Great value for money, excellent people and fun rides.

All makes of bike had come to play, from the 125cc VanVan right up the 1800cc Goldwing (I don’t think he had TKC tread but I could be wrong!). Of course we had all the makes between the ranges also.

But also the people show the diversity of ABR events as we have the ‘Old Sweats’ that have been there and done it, we had a wonderful showing from the ABR Youngbloods pitching up. Rather a few Mr and Mrs Teams came riding in two by two and where would we be without the clowns! Yes, Craigrevo, I’m looking at you. I was pleased to see Father and Daughter team pitch up on a rather snazzy old Ducati!

There really is something for everyone – road rides and trail rides, slow rides and fun rides. Rides that are lead out and rides that people just took on their own and at their own pace. On site at all times was a full and free enduro course! This included the ‘Bog of Death’ and the prize of free beer to any ABR member that could complete it in one. To my knowledge only The Beddows gave it a go – and a damn fine attempt it was too!

Who do you thank?

Everyone makes ABR what it is and everyone is to be thanked – All we do is lay down the basic stock, but it is the riders that make up the spice, the meat and the veg of the oh so flavoursome ABR Stew!

Fortune favours the brave and our Friday storm riding was rewarded with sunshine and blue skies on the Saturday ride outs. Four rides put on by members and many more just took their own sweet time and had a look about.

I would like to personally thank the riders that came on my ride out – humour and easy flow was the order of the day as my satnav just plain spat it’s dummy out and decided that my route order was better served going backwards!

A quick chat with the lads as we came to see Warwick Castle – well, we did see the sign and then all laughed at the 6 quid entry fee – ABOUT TURN!

Off to Kenilworth Castle – not to be deterred by such outlandish fees! Only to find that not only did this RUIN want an entry fee but also a parking fee! My god the Welsh know how to run a castle display (Aberystwyth, wander around free of charge!).

Anyway! We got some long distance pictures and then talked about going the Motorcycle Museum but rapidly came to the conclusion that we should just go and ride our bikes, simple as that! Back roads and twisters, single track and hedgways before searching about 15 miles for a pub that does food!

But a pub was found and a steak and onion baguette was very much appreciated in a rather nice sun trap beer garden. There my day had to end as I was required 140 miles away for a family party, duty bound I set off like a scalded cat.

A slow read of the feedback is always a warming of the heart affair and provides a smile on the face. Indeed, sat around the fire on Friday night, Stella in hand and chair attached to my arse, I was brought to quiet contentment as many people made comment on how much they enjoyed ABR events and how welcome they had been made to feel.

See you all in Scotland!

James

A personal thank you to Eunice (Mrs TreadTrader) for work above and beyond on the days and nights, sorting out the tickets and payments, providing snacks and during the night there was the rubbish collection. The only thing bigger than your constant smile is the size of your heart (yes, I know Dave will be saying it’s your arse).
Dancing in the moonlight
fionaann

Re: ABR MIdlands Rally - thanks one and all

Post by fionaann »

Hi James, well all i can say it was a big adventure and it was good fun, thank you to everyone for a brilliant weekend, sorry we couldnt stay longer but it a long way home, we did 1100 miles all together, OMG our asses was sore by the time we got home, but it was worth it, i came off my bike twice, to much front brake the 1st time and the 2nd time Jim was driving,not his fault, i was on the back, got into a rut and tryed to get out and slid sideways, i came off and ended up doing the splits, ouch ( havnt done that before ) :silly: looking forward to seeing everyone at ullapool,
field.JPG
field.JPG (132.38 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Well said James, that somes it up well. (& using your words i class my self as one of the "ABR Youngbloods" :P )

Diveristy is always a good thing (& i dont mean the Dance troop from the telly) and ABR rallies always have it (also has some people who can snore for england!)

Thanks to all involved.

fionaann - i saw your two up tumble, looked like you went down pretty hard.

oh..and the bog of doom...Tom94 also did it once everyone had gone. glad he made it through because there was no way i was going in to pull him out!
Tom94

Post by Tom94 »

Phil wrote: oh..and the bog of doom...Tom94 also did it once everyone had gone. glad he made it through because there was no way i was going in to pull him out!
I'll remember that Phil for when your well and truly stuck in deep sh*tty mud :laugh:
Phil

Post by Phil »

Tom94 wrote:
Phil wrote: oh..and the bog of doom...Tom94 also did it once everyone had gone. glad he made it through because there was no way i was going in to pull him out!
I'll remember that Phil for when your well and truly stuck in deep sh*tty mud :laugh:
What...like on the friday on the enduro course when i was truly stuck and you didnt help me. oh yeah.....you were stuck too!! ;)

Enduro course was good on staurday as it dried out a bit...those pesky 4x4's made some mad ass ruts!
Euni

Post by Euni »

Hiya James, thanks for your kind words that was a really nice thing to say... The way I look at it, it doesn't cost anything to smile and be nice to people, you've got to make new and old members feel welcome.

Unfortunately I wont see you at Ullapool as its our busy time at work, nobody is allowed time off in September, if your down our way, you know that your always welcome to our spare bed.

Hope to see you sometime soon.. Yoony xx
James691

Post by James691 »

As promised - a few snaps.

Just getting to the field took nerves of steel :)
routein-slippyfuckinggrass.jpg
routein-slippyfuckinggrass.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
But the rewards are worth it - outstanding curry and chips :)
thereward.jpg
thereward.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
But don't upset the ABR Security! Our Car Park Pitbull is not to be played with ;)
Abrsecurity.jpg
Abrsecurity.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
But seems Herman was looking legless by midday anyway!
legless.jpg
legless.jpg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
Never fear - it can't rain all the time and the sun did break free. As seen by ABR Craigrevo.
hopeeternal.jpg
hopeeternal.jpg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
But best of all - is just chilling with friends - ABR a hive of activity - as much or as little as you want ;)
friends.jpg
friends.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
See you in Scotland.
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “ABR Midlands Rally Stratford upon Avon 17th - 19th Aug 2012”