No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

Lolo

Re: No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

Post by Lolo »

Well Ive really enjoyed it Its made me go around all the little villages and roads near me which I did not even know existed. My Sunday morning rides out for a fry up breakfast became an interesting how can I get there a different way using roads I have never used before. Woke me up a little from my usual rides. so thanks very much :laugh: :laugh:
drdaveboy

Post by drdaveboy »

You could make it around say like visiting as many football grounds around the uk , I know football isn't everyone's bag but you've still got the roads to get there
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

That's a real shame. I really enjoyed doing this years challenge as you might have guessed.

The problem with football grounds in my opinion is they're in urban locations which doesn't make for good riding. This years challenge meant you didn't need to go into the town or city, just ride to the outskirts and take a photo and then turn around and ride some more. Superb.

I've looked through previous years challenges and the Nature Rally seemed well received. How about a similar challenge based on RAF bases? They're spread around the country from Scotland to Cornwall (sorry but not Norn Iron), will be mostly in rural locations and the RAF has an officer ranking system that could be used to grade competitors, e.g. Squadron Leader, Wing Commander etc. that could be amusing.

As far as I can see all the previous challenges have used photos of bikes in the location to score points. That also gives a visual reference to forum users that a GPS record just doesn't convey. I think photo records should stay.

If the idea is liked I'm happy to come up with a scoring system, I've got a list of locations and ranks from Wikipedia already. I'd need some help with the admin, particularly producing signature awards, but will give it a go. As long as I can also compete ;)
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Maybe something based on trails or byways etc?
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I think the stadium ideas a none runner as many are in the Town/City and I would rather be out in the countryside ( JMHO ),
New to the site and have just looked back at some of the challenges, shame to have missed the bus as they say :unsure: .
Not a New idea, and used on a few site, but still fun and gives you a reason to go and ride some new roads, is of course Photo Tagging, and as this is a National/ International, you would have a regional tally of mileage.
Gareth 1979

Post by Gareth 1979 »

Fordy wrote:That's a real shame. I really enjoyed doing this years challenge as you might have guessed.

The problem with football grounds in my opinion is they're in urban locations which doesn't make for good riding. This years challenge meant you didn't need to go into the town or city, just ride to the outskirts and take a photo and then turn around and ride some more. Superb.

I've looked through previous years challenges and the Nature Rally seemed well received. How about a similar challenge based on RAF bases? They're spread around the country from Scotland to Cornwall (sorry but not Norn Iron), will be mostly in rural locations and the RAF has an officer ranking system that could be used to grade competitors, e.g. Squadron Leader, Wing Commander etc. that could be amusing.

As far as I can see all the previous challenges have used photos of bikes in the location to score points. That also gives a visual reference to forum users that a GPS record just doesn't convey. I think photo records should stay.

If the idea is liked I'm happy to come up with a scoring system, I've got a list of locations and ranks from Wikipedia already. I'd need some help with the admin, particularly producing signature awards, but will give it a go. As long as I can also compete ;)

Last years challenge became a non starter for me due to changing job/promotion 3 times in the year and a new baby but I was looking forward to the ABR challenge this year. I liked the idea of "holly grail" challenge a couple of years ago but was too late in discovering the forum to participate.

In theory I like the idea of the RAF bases but I'm a little wary of it. I'm just unsure of the reaction of the military to bikers turning up and taking photo's with the intention of posting them on the net.
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Thanks for all your time and effort Jim, i really enjoyed the Nature Rally and have a folder full of pics of places I just wouldnt of visited.
Afraid I dont have the time to take this on but something as simple as the Nature (useing the Bronze,Silver and Gold) could be the gates of all these- The Race Track Challenge!
Aintree
Anglesey Racing Circuit - Trac Môn
Brands Hatch
Cadwell Park
Carnaby
Castle Combe
Croft Circuit
Darley Moor
Donington Park
East Fortune
Elvington
Goodwood Circuit
Jurby
Kirkistown
Knockhill
Lydden
Mallory Park
Olivers Mount
Oulton Park
Pembrey
Rockingham Motor Speedway
Silverstone
Snetterton
Teeside Autodrome
Three Sisters
Thruxton

Just a thought! Happy New Year all :)

cheers Marc
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

We do have a Raf base in NI, aldergrove and numerous defunct ones.

Getting a photo of a military base is a crime under the official secret act I think.

I think it is a great idea though, it could end up with you in maghaberry here though.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

Apologies 650ginge, I searched for the province of 'Ulster' and not the counties so missed it.

I'm not so sure we would have an issue, we don't live in Greece after all. It's fine according to this site http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... /index.php. However if it would deter take up I'll be happy with an alternative.

The motorsports circuits idea sounds good.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Firstly many thanks to Jimbo for all time and effort made by you in administering the ABR challenges.

I like some of the ideas put forward for this years challenge, lets keep this thread going for a few days before we make a decision.

Fordy, if you would like to take up the admin on this I will pm my number for a chat on the admin side.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “ABR Challenge 2013”